Title IX celebrates birthday

A celebration held at the state capitol Monday commemorated the thirtieth anniversary of Title IX, the national legislation requiring gender equality in federally funded education programs.

The ceremony included the unveiling of a new photographic exhibit honoring the accomplishments of women in education before and after the establishment of Title IX.

The exhibit was ushered in by some of the leaders in the Wisconsin educational system who spoke about the legislation’s history, impact and future.

Title IX, passed in 1972, is known mostly for its impact on the world of intercollegiate athletics.

Because of Title IX, federally funded schools are required to spend an equal amount of money on both women’s and men’s athletics.

The legislation has been a source of controversy since its inception, because some critics say high-profile sports such as men’s football and basketball are arguably more popular and can bring large amounts of revenue to schools.

Elizabeth Burmaster, the state superintendent of the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, spoke at Monday’s celebration and said many critics of the bill believe that Title IX has more negative than positive effects because it limits men’s opportunities in less popular sports such as wrestling.

According to Burmaster, this has caused President Bush’s administration to hint at weakening the 1972 law.

Burmaster suggested the Federal Department of Education is using measures such as standardized surveys to prove women’s disinterest in sports. She said her disagreement with this type of action stems from her belief that Title IX should be upheld in the future.

“We have to seize this opportunity to renew our commitment to [Title IX],” Burmaster said. “All students should be able to pursue an education that reflects their passion.”

Katherine Lyall, president of the University of Wisconsin system, also spoke at the ceremony. She said even though Title IX is known mostly for its impact on the athletic world, it was intended more for the educational system in general.

It wasn’t until a 1974 amendment to the original bill was passed that the legislation really affected athletics, Lyall said.

“The purpose of [Title IX] was, and still is, to allow students to pursue any field they want,” said Lyall.

Richard Carpenter, president and state director of the Wisconsin Technical College System, also said he thought the bill was important in other areas of education.

“Title IX has leveled the playing field as well as the working field,” Carpenter said.

He said that Title IX has provided opportunities for women in fields such as firefighting, medicine, dentistry and law that have been historically dominated by men.

According to Lyall, the new exhibit’s intention is to reiterate this idea around Wisconsin.

She said the display would travel around the state throughout the upcoming year to help educate people about the importance of Title IX.

Lyall expressed her satisfaction that Title IX has had such a large impact over the past thirty years and said she is looking forward to the future of the bill.