UW officials urge, offer suggestions for students to quit smoking

The annual National College Health assessment conducted by the American College Health Association shows nearly one-quarter of college students nationwide smoke cigarettes. Many of these students want or plan to quit, but are unsure of how to kick the habit.

Scott Spear, director of clinical services at University Health Services, said the initial step in quitting is to truthfully evaluate one’s smoking habits.

About 7 percent of students reportedly smoke daily, and roughly 11 percent are considered “social smokers,” students who typically smoke only in social settings such as bars or parties. Spear said some students underestimate the frequency of their smoking and fail to realize they are addicted.

Another early step in quitting smoking is to determine the reasons why one smokes, according to Karen Allaire, a nurse practitioner at University Hospitals and Clinics.

Allaire said people usually smoke for one of three reasons: for stimulation, to deal with stress or because they like the ritual of smoking. She said once people determine why they smoke, they can replace smoking with other activities.

“I don’t have any magic formulas,” Allaire said. “The bottom line is, inside a person who’s smoking is the way to quit.”

Although quitting “cold turkey,” or completely giving up cigarettes all at once, is the most popular way to quit smoking, most experts believe it is the least successful.

Doug Jorenby, associate professor of medicine and director of clinical services at the Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, said only 3 to 7 percent of people who quit cold turkey do not resume smoking within a year of quitting.

Rather, most people attempt to quit several times before giving up cigarettes for good.

“The average person makes between three and five serious attempts,” Jorenby said.

While they may seem discouraging, Allaire said multiple attempts to quit can be productive.

“Each time you can learn something about yourself that will help the next time,” she said.

Multiple attempts allow smokers to learn how to combat withdrawal symptoms. Although nicotine usually stays in the body for two days after smoking a cigarette, the psychological effects of nicotine addiction can last longer.

Some smokers use nicotine treatment therapies to help ease their nicotine cravings. Nicotine patches and gums are available over the counter at drug stores, but nicotine nasal sprays and inhalers require a doctor’s prescription.

Jorenby said these therapies fulfill smokers’ nicotine cravings but are not damaging like tar-filled cigarettes.

“By and large, nicotine is not what causes health damage,” he said. “[These products] give nicotine in a form that’s not harmful.”

One prescription medicine is also available to help smokers quit. Zyban, originally developed as an anti-depressant, is reported to reduce cigarette cravings.

The costs of these therapies vary considerably and depend on how much help an individual requires or wants.

Jorenby said the therapies cost roughly the same as smoking one or two packs of cigarettes a day.

Experts also recommend smokers get some form of support, either from a therapist or from family members and friends.

University Health Services offers a smoking cessation program called Quick Start that runs every month during the school year. Groups of five to 10 students attend four sessions over a month.

Another resource is the Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention’s Quit Line, which can be reached at 1-877-270-STOP.

Smokers can also meet with clinicians. Allaire meets with individuals and groups to help them find ways to give up smoking.

Even asking family members and friends to help them avoid cigarettes can help. Jorenby said any form of support greatly increases a smoker’s potential for successfully quitting.

Many students plan to quit smoking after they graduate college, but Spear said this is often an excuse.

“If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, I could retire now,” he said.

Spear said if people stop smoking before age 30, most of the health risks associated with cigarettes can be reversed.

“The best time to quit is now,” Spear said.