Volleyball court proposal may be delayed

Disagreements over stipulations of the design and administration of an outdoor volleyball court are delaying its plan.

Greg Meyers, owner of Buffalo Wild Wings, 529 State St., submitted a request to delay talks to Madison’s Plan Commission after disagreeing with the staff’s requested adjustments.

Meyers was scheduled to present his establishment’s proposal regarding an outdoor recreational facility tonight in hopes of final approval of the project.

But Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said more requested revisions, this time from the Plan Commission, upset Meyers.

?Staff were recommending several changes to his plan, like creating five disabled parking spaces, no alcohol outside [although the ALRC already improved it] and ending [volleyball and service] at midnight,? Verveer said. ?The owner was very upset about it and as a result he is going to ask for a postponement.?

The Urban Design Commission recently passed Meyers’ proposal with a request for additional revisions made for the lighting of the area.

?I think it?s a great idea,? said Steven Holtzman, a member of the Plan Commission.

?The only concerns I?m aware of are with the lighting of the area.?

In an e-mail, Meyers said by rescheduling his appearance before the committee, he ?will not have enough time to get this project accomplished by Spring.?

Meyers already said he would work to fix the revisions and send them to the Commission.

The Plan Commission meets every two weeks; the next scheduled date the terrace proposal may be scheduled on the agenda is April 15.

Meyers was not available for comment Sunday, but Verveer said the delay concerns him because he sees no necessary adjustments to Meyers’ proposal.

He said restricting alcohol consumption is uncalled for.

?Long ago, the ALRC approved alcohol consumption in the fenced-in area, which is a terrace-like, supervised area that you would have to enter through the establishment and be carded to enter,? he said.

Some Urban Design Commission members believed the lighting would cause glare for the participants due to an existing lighting structure in the lot. ?One step down and another to go,? Meyers said after the preliminary approval. ?The problems we had were due to the fact that the area was temporary.?

Due to the recreational facility being temporary, the lighting is questionable and limited for changes.

Meyers has been working on the project on and off since 1997 and has come to the last needed approval by the Plan Commission.

Construction of the area will begin as soon as it is passed by the commission. The proposal does not need to be approved by a full City Council.

The area, assuming approval, will be available for use from mid-May until the end of August. Buffalo Wild Wings will have the capacity to accept forty teams for outdoor volleyball.