ALRC reviews Regent Street Retreat/The Annex capacity

The Alcohol License Review Committee approved a proposal to increase capacity of the Regent Street Retreat and The Annex nightclub Wednesday night.

Owner Bruce Garharz, who has been working for the approval since 1998, said he is pleased with the decision to increase capacity at the location.

In an attempt to make The Annex and Regent Street Retreat a better location for college students as well as community members, the new capacity went from 508 to 625. With the increased capacity, the building now has the ability to appeal to more people and allow a wider variety of venues to perform.

LaMarr Billups, Special Assistant to the Chancellor, said he is pleased with Garharz’s intentions for the location.

“We are working to provide a wide range of things for students to do and give students an opportunity to do something other than go to the bar,” Billups said.

The proposal was passed after many adjustments and will continue to be worked on within the location.

One of the suggestions for adjustment was security within the premises. The Madison Police Department and the university have worked together to form a plan to satisfy students and community members, Captain John Davenport of the MPD said.

“It is evident that Garharz wants to run a responsible business,” Davenport said.
Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said the plan is good for students.
“They have framed a package that broadens opportunities for young people,” Bruer said.

With the increased capacity, the club is now offering more shows that are available to the 18 and up crowd. Though drinking will still be allowed, there will no longer be nightly drink specials unless the specials run for at least a continuous week. The location will also offer dry nights for those who do not choose to drink but still want to enjoy the atmosphere.

With the increased capacity, Garharz said he believes they will have the opportunity to work with a wider variety of musical talent.

A petition made by John W. Moore to the council for a resolution ordering the revocation of the Beer and Liquor License of Club Amazon was also discussed at the meeting.

Moore, an African American, said he was not allowed entrance into Club Amazon because of his ethnicity. Owners said he was denied admittance because of lack of identification, which Moore believes would not have happened had it not been a race-related issue.

The petition was referred to the City Attorney and is now being placed on file after it was determined that his denial was not a result of his race.