Semester recap: UW at center of stem cell debate

The future of UW-Madison took a new twist late last summer when the stem-cell research pioneered by UW scientist James Thomson was recognized as the new wave in science.

In 1998, Thomson isolated the human embryonic stem cell: undifferentiated cells that eternally reproduce in a line and, with the right coaxing, can potentially be triggered into specializing into one of the 200-plus types of body cells.

Thomson’s discovery meant even more after President Bush, because of ethical reasons, ruled only lines existing up to Aug. 9 were eligible for federal funding.

The final tally found UW owns five of the 72 stem-cell lines in the world available for funding by the federal government.

What’s more, Thomson’s lines are the only lines that are considered “Gold Standard,” which means they have been published and available for more than two years, and UW is the only institution that has reached a federal funding policy from the National Institute of Health.

“A number of other providers are unwilling to provide cells to researchers,” said Andrew Cohn, spokesperson for the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, the licensing and patenting arm of the university. “It puts us in the forefront of stem-cell research.”

Currently, the requests for UW stem cells are pouring in; WARF received over 215 requests last month.

Researchers say that, if they are successful in triggering these undifferentiated cells into certain body cells, some of mankind’s most debilitating diseases may eventually be cured.

Early testing has found neural cells can treat Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases, and regenerative tests in mice have proven to be successful.

In the past three months alone, researchers here have stimulated these cells into becoming blood, and finally brain cells, meaning Thomson’s discovery may change the world of medicine, and of UW, forever.

“He was able to achieve the Holy Grail, if you will,” said Tim Mulcahy, UW associate dean of biological sciences. “People have been wanting to do this for decades, and [Thomson] found the key to unlock it.”