Distinguished Lecture Series begins season

The Distinguished Lecture Series kicked off its 25th season to a sold-out crowd Wednesday night with political and social activists the Spitfire Tour.

Last night’s speakers included former Dead Kennedy’s frontman Jello Biafra, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals President Ingrid Newkirk, former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, and musical performers/activists Doria Robers and Jill Sobule.

Novoselic, who founded the Joint Artists and Musical Promotions Political Action Committee, discussed the issue of electoral reform.

“If we are truly lovers of liberty and democracy, we must reject ? our corrupt electoral system,” he said. “Our current electorate system is basically divide and conquer. We don’t choose our leaders — they choose us. The most patriotic thing [one] can do is to advocate for a more inclusive democracy.”

Novoselic said there is a way to procure a better political system and that only a system of proportional representation will save democracy.

Roberts spoke briefly and sang songs in support of the LGBT rights movement.

“I want to encourage people who think [the LGBT movement] isn’t their movement ? to not write it off immediately,” she said.

After her speech she sang self-written songs about issues such as gun control and religion.

Newkirk discussed animal rights and her vegan lifestyle, which rejects any product derived from animals, such as milk.

“There is more nutritional content in a glass of beer than in a glass of milk,” she said.

Newkirk also spoke out against hunting, even comparing it to terrorism.

“For animals, it’s Ground Zero every day,” she said. “Are you so desperately insecure that you have to prove your manhood with a big gun? There are relationships just shot asunder. It’s just not right.”

Newkirk said she believes animal slavery is based solely on prejudice, and compared animal rights activists to modern abolitionists.

Sobule sang self-written songs on a great variety of topics, ranging from Jerry Falwell, President Bush’s escapades with drinking, drugs, the death penalty and the tragedy of Sept. 11.

Biafra was the evening’s final speaker.

He talked about President Bush and the current anti-war movement.

“I fear a greater slaughter of innocent civilians,” Biafra said. “We have a clown prince of the oil industry in the White House surrounded by overturned cans of gasoline being handed matches.”

Biafra said he believes that the war will only serve to create greater hatred of the United States.

“What will Osama’s children be like?” he asked. “This is giving Osama exactly what he wants.”

He also questioned America’s reasons for military action in Afghanistan.

“I agree we have a legitimate reason for defending ourselves, [but] what about addressing the root causes?” he asked. “What caused the problems in the first place was the sculduggery. We didn’t finish the job over there. There’s no way we’re going to win a war on terrorism, and if we do, what is victory?”

DSL will continue Dec. 4 with slavery reparations supporter and civil rights activist Randall Robinson, conservative author David Horowitz, film director Spike Lee and Holocaust survivor/author Elie Wiesel will also speak throughout the coming months.