Cabaret licenses causing problems for some downtown bars

With many area bars hiring DJs and providing dance-friendly music in jukeboxes, dancing on weekend nights is an anticipated event over students’ long weeks.

Under city ordinance, any establishment serving alcohol and allowing more than two to three couples to dance must have a cabaret license. The license costs $250 a year, and even then the bar still needs approval from the city council. While most campus-area bars have cabaret licenses, many said they have had trouble getting them in recent years.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said problems, most of which have been caused by what he termed “irresponsible event promoters,” has led to a new “prohibtionist” attitude toward cabaret licenses in city government.

“Promoters have been coming to bars and offering to run events that bring in a lot of customers,” Verveer said. “Owners are not as involved in running their businesses as they should be.”

Administrative clerk Helen Ditzker said the city is also concerned about allowing too many bars in one area to have cabaret licenses.

“We are very particular about concentration and capacity problems,” Ditzker said. “Whether we give licenses or not depends on where the bar is located. Areas like State Street and University [Avenue] already have a lot.”
Verveer said city officials are exaggerating the problems that will be caused by giving out more cabaret licenses.

“As long as bar owners are competent and take responsibility, I don’t see a problem,” Verveer said. “Licenses can be hard to come by because the police and the Alcohol Licensing and Review Committee view cabaret licenses as turning bars into nightclubs and that makes them overly concerned.”

One of the bars that has had problems getting a cabaret license is Madison Masala, 115 State St.

Owner Shariff Syed said his bar has not had any of the problems that have prevented other bars from getting licenses, yet still gets harassed.

“Other places abused their privileges,” Syed said. “They were all caught with underage drinking. Our crowd is mostly 25 or older. We are not a college bar, and we don’t have drink specials.”

Two weeks ago, local DJ and UW student Olivier Reiher was spinning at the Madison Masala when people were told to sit down because the establishment did not have a cabaret license. He said he has seen the same thing happen at other bars, and that it is limiting opportunities for underage people.

“People talk about having non-drinking alternatives for underagers,” Reiher said. “But they won’t let us dance.”

Ricardo Gonzales, owner of the Cardinal Bar, 418 E. Wilson St., has had a cabaret license for some time and said it has never been a problem.

“Over the years there have been incidents, but nothing to do with dancing. We have more problems related to alcohol,” Gonzales said. “Dance clubs run late at night, which means a lot of people showing up already drunk.”

Verveer said punishment for those who allow dancing without a license can vary in severity.

“It is not always a big deal,” Verveer said. “Bartenders do get in trouble sometimes, and the police do ticket.”

Verveer said cabaret licenses should be granted to more bars because it would provide more opportunities for underage students to dance.

“I’m all for having a good time, and there is not enough for underagers to do in Madison,” Verveer said. “I’m in favor creating new live venues where people can come and dance.”