Resources available for pregnancy

College students have a reputation for liking to have a good time, and UW-Madison is no exception. Students drink and sometimes consume more than is healthy.

Drinking, however, sometimes leads to other activities, which may or may not include sexual intercourse.

According to experts, the UW student population makes healthy choices regarding this favored pastime. In general, the pregnancy rate of college age students at UW is lower than other areas of the country.

“[The Wisconsin population] has an educated and affluent population,” said Scott Spear, director of University Health Services.

Spear said unplanned sex is one of the major factors contributing to college pregnancy. Unplanned sexual activity can be a result of many things, including, but not limited to, alcohol.

“A unplanned pregnancy is an impediment in a college girl's education,” UW nursing professor Geraldine Diemer said.

In general, pregnancy for a college woman is extremely stressful. The effect it has depends on the course of action the woman takes after discovering she is pregnant.

Women who choose to take time off from school to care for a child generally have difficulty returning.

“College pregnancy affects them quite adversely,” Spear said.
Spear said most college women elect to terminate. If they do choose to keep the child, it can be extremely draining both mentally and physically.

After the child is born, childcare becomes an issue. The amount of paternal support the mother receives tends to influence the difficulty of childcare.

If the girl is in a committed relationship, childcare can be much easier. Diemer said a committed relationship almost always has positive effects on the experience of raising a child.

Madison has many services for women dealing with pregnancy, whether during, before or afterwards.

Emergency contraceptives are available through UHS if unplanned sex occurs or if a condom breaks.

“There are quite a few emergency contraceptives that significantly decrease the chance to get pregnant if used within 72 hours of the sexual activity,” Spear said.

The Student Health Center offers services if a woman becomes pregnant. The Madison area has many private practices, and Meriter Hospital also offers services.

The Dean of Students office offers financial aid in the form of a loan for women who plan to continue through the term and keep the child.

All of these services are available to the entire student population.

“It depends on the girl’s willingness to access the healthcare provided,” Diemer said.