‘Rock of Ages’ perfect summer guilty pleasure

There are two ways to look at this summer’s film adaptation of the Tony-nominated hit Broadway musical, “Rock of Ages”. If you’re hoping to find a stellar product deserving of an Oscar, you won’t find it. Despite the star power from talented names and a big budget, the story and music don’t really translate from the stage to the screen like we all might have hoped. But if you’re eager for an entertaining and upbeat film you can sing along to and escape with, this one might be just right.

“Rock of Ages” tells the story of small-town Sherrie (Julianne Hough, “Footloose”) who travels to Los Angeles to pursue her dream of becoming a rock singer in the late 80s. As soon as she arrives she meets Drew, a fellow aspiring rocker and worker at The Bourbon Room, played by newcomer Diego Boneta (“90210”). The two quickly fall for each other amidst the excitement of the music of The Bourbon Room, namely the performances of Stacee Jaxx, an aging rocker expertly (and surprisingly) played by Tom Cruise (“Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol”). Cruise manages to make Jaxx into a blend of Bret Michaels and Jack Sparrow, complete with Michaels’ infamous bandana, an earring, and chipped black nail polish.

Rock hits of the 80s from bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Foreigner, Journey and more help tell the tale of Sherrie and Drew’s romance, Stacee Jaxx’s attempt to define his career, and the brewing battle between the owner of The Bourbon Room (Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”) and the city of Los Angeles. Catherine Zeta-Jones (“No Reservations”), as the mayor’s wife, is vehemently anti-rock n roll, but her musical numbers are vaguely reminiscent of her powerful performance as Velma Kelly in 2002’s Oscar-winning “Chicago.” With her posse of church-going mothers she attempts to have The Bourbon Room closed for good, but the weakness she finds in the face of Stacee Jaxx and their shared past quickly changes her stance.

Some of the more fun moments include Drew’s temporary stint in a New Kids on the Block-esque boy band, and the love ballad “Can’t Fight This Feeling” performed by none other than Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand, who in doing so confess their newfound love for each other. And Paul Giamatti, as Stacee’s sleazy ponytail-wearing, gum chewing manager, provides one of the best performances, in a film where all of the actors are clearly having fun in their roles.

The film ends with a full cast rendition of, what else, Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin'”, as Drew and Sherrie, back to being a couple, join a jovial Stacee Jaxx, who has found love at last, on stage in front of an enormous crowd.

Despite the star-studded cast, the acting isn’t quite what you would expect, and the audience is left a little disappointed. In one of her first starring roles, Julianne Hough is a bit lacking in the lip-synching skills, although her acting has improved, if only slightly. Diego Boneta, however, a star in his own right in the Latin music world, is refreshing and a promising actor and singer, even if his voice may be better suited to pop songs.

The clich?d storyline of “Rock of Ages”, while often silly, is an enjoyable escape for those who can ignore its technical flaws (of which there are quite a few). If you are a musical fan or simply someone who loved “Mamma Mia!” and “Hairspray” while others cringed, “Rock of Ages” is a film that will leave you smiling. For anyone who has seen a Broadway show, you already know that musicals usually have a conventional storyline, and in order for the songs to make sense, that element of predictability is necessary.

If you aren’t looking for an award-winning film to enjoy during your summer break, “Rock of Ages” fits the bill. For all its cheesiness and over the top musical numbers, it is a fun and engaging movie. And hey, there are definitely worse movies you could choose as your summer guilty pleasure.