Trans Siberian Orchestra delivers seasonal goods

On Monday Nov. 9, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, or TSO, performed their annual show at the Kohl Center. For those of you who don’t know TSO, prepare to be enlightened, and maybe a little jealous.

TSO is an orchestra that was formed in 1996 by Paul O’Neil and some of his close friends. The Orchestra has the sound of harder rock or symphonic metal, and has played mostly holiday and classical tunes. TSO is most well known for their song “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24,” a catchy rendition of the classic “Carol of the Bells,” from the album Christmas Eve and Other Stories. Their performances are known for their high energy, light shows and pyrotechnics. This year, it was no different and they most certainly did not disappoint.

The first half of the show was the story and songs from Christmas Eve and Other Stories. They followed the album fairly well, and only left out a few songs. Among the songs played were “O Come All Ye Faithful/O Holy Night,” “A Mad Russian’s Christmas,” and of course “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24.” The next half of the show, after introductions of the orchestra members, was a mix of songs from the albums Beethoven’s Last Night, The Lost Christmas Eve, and the recently released Night Castle. Among the songs performed in that half were “Mozart,” a version of “O Fortuna,” “Toccata-Carpimus Noctem,” and “Wizards in Winter.”

The performances were fantastic, not lacking at all from the studio albums. The singers belted out in an amazing way, while the instrumentalists rocked out in a hardcore way that one might only see in a metal band. One reason that TSO is so unique is the combination of this sound and style of music, and they pull it off splendidly.

The energy from the members of TSO was incredible, most of them able to head-bang while playing incredibly well, and running and dancing around the stage for some. It was amazing that the female lead violinist didn’t get her hair caught while she was playing, because her hair was flying around more than an 80s hair band. The light show was phenomenal, with it’s laser lights and synchronization with the music it was a welcome addition to the already glorious sound. The pyrotechnics were great too, and it was interesting to see fire synchronized with the music in the same way as the lights, popping up with each note in a different place. The visuals were stunning and the sheer awesomeness of it all was enough to render anyone speechless. The sights and sounds combined in this concert were a perfect example of why people will see TSO multiple times, and sometimes every year.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra did not hold back and delivered their music and overall atmosphere flawlessly. It was the perfect way to give Madison an early welcome to the holidays.