Rumors spread about ‘The Office’

Welcome back, Dunder Mifflinites. Yes there are rumors, but don’t worry, it is most definitely true that the show is still awesome.

“This is parkour, the internet sensation of 2004” says Jim as he shows the camera a clip from youtube. Michael, Dwight and Andy are running about the Dunder Mifflin office, on desks and running into things and people. They think they’re doing hardcore parkour. Not really. They run outside, videotaping the next attempt. Andy jumps on the refrigerator box. Whoops, no refrigerator. Michael and Dwight don’t know what to do. Thus begins season 6 of The Office.

So, Pam and Jim are having a baby. That was the exciting news of the end of last season. We find out now that they haven’t told anyone yet. I think we understand why. In other news, the summer internship at Dunder Mifflin is nearly at an end. What? Two of the interns are dating, and no one told Michael?! That’s outrageous! Ok, not really, but he definitely thinks so.

His constant need for attention gets the best of him and he confronts the interns, determined to know why no one kept him in the loop. He then finds out that the interns saw Stanley and his wife at the dance club they were at. Michael has discovered that Stanley is having a midlife crisis! He tells the rest of the office. They tell him that Stanley’s wife is out of town. Michael has discovered, even better, that Stanley is having an affair! He gets his usual twinkle in his eye and tells everyone in the office. Jim tells him that he shouldn’t be saying things without knowing the truth of it, so Michael confronts Stanley. At first Stanley denies it, but opens up and admits that it’s been going on for a while since his wife has been traveling a lot. He tells Michael he trusts him with this information and no one can know. Michael looks guilty and we as the audience find great humor in this, as well as awkwardness.

So how can Michael fix the newest mess he’s created? Well, why not start a bunch of untrue rumors and then no one will know what to believe. He thinks this is a brilliant plan. He says Kelly has an eating disorder, Creed has asthma (which apparently means he can’t scuba dive, and he is very distraught by this. We don’t understand that man, but damn we find him hilarious), Andy’s gay, Oscar does the voice of the Taco Bell dog, Kevin has a person inside of him controlling him with levers, Pam is pregnant (wait a minute…) and probably many other things.

Everyone discovers the rumors and they discuss them. Andy talks to Oscar about his confusion with his sexuality, Angela tells Pam that babies out of wedlock are still bastards, and Andy tells Jim that he’s excited that there’s going to be a “little tuna.” After the many hilarious discussions, everyone realizes that Michael is the cause of the rumors. They confront him and he tells them his reason for spreading the rumors. Everyone demands to know which rumor is true and just as he is about to say, Pam and Jim reveal that they are indeed having a little tuna. Michael tries to explain the Stanley situation, but Jim reassures everyone that it is the pregnancy. They even bring proof with the ultrasound picture.

Michael talks to Pam and Jim alone, saying that he’s unhappy that they hadn’t told him. They said they just told their parents and no one else knew. Pam assures him (for his benefit) that he is just as much a part of the pregnancy as they are. Just then, Erin calls into Michael’s office, telling him that Stanley’s wife is on the phone. Apparently Michael had called to make sure she was out of town. He discovers that she knew about the affair and that Stanley said he would break it off. Stanley didn’t take it so well that Michael told everyone, because at the end it looked like he was wailing on what looked like Michael’s car.

At the end, the interns discussed their summer at Dunder Mifflin. What did they learn? That if you look like Jet Li, Michael will definitely call you Jet Li. Or Julia Stiles. Or Alan Thick.

So how did Season 6 fair so far? It was it’s usual blend of hilarity and awkwardness. The rumors that were started by Michael were hilarious, and the reveal about the pregnancy was fantastic. Especially when Michael asked Jim “did you pee on a stick?” and Jim’s reply was “I did, it was inconclusive.” The situation with Andy being confused about his sexuality was pretty great, and one can’t help but wonder if that’s going to play a part later on. It was also interesting, and funny, that he asked Michael if he was actually gay, as if he wouldn’t know himself. This was a pretty great episode, and it seems that it set up some exciting story lines for the upcoming season. Looks like we have a lot to look forward to, and yes, that does include a little tuna.

“The Office” airs Thursday at 8pm on NBC