McAdams shines as ‘Time Traveler’s Wife’

Yes, there may be a theme of love will conquer all and, yes, it does include two exceptionally attractive and talented movie stars, but future audience members should be warned – “The Time Traveler’s Wife” is no “Notebook.” Directed by Robert Schwentke (“Flightplan”), “The Time Traveler’s Wife” lacks the incredible passion and cohesive plot that make romance films irresistibly addictive for the amorous at heart.

The film is based on the best-selling novel by Audrey Niffenegger and is a science fiction love story that transcends all conventional ideas of true love. Henry DeTamble (Eric Bana, “Funny People”) is a Chicago librarian who has a genetic condition called Chrono Impairment that causes him to uncontrollably travel through time. One day while he is working, he meets Clare Abshire (Rachel McAdams, “State of Play”) who claims to have known him her entire life, yet he has never met her. From there the love story begins and the two eventually get married, hence the film’s title.

It has been a couple years since McAdams has starred in a major motion picture and it is refreshing to see her again on the big screen. She plays her role with such an authentic vigor. The only disappointment is that you wish the script allowed for a deeper exploration of her character. Any less skilled of an actress would ruin the character of Clare with unconvincing pathos.

Bana, on the other hand, was not the right fit for the character of Henry. For being the protagonist, he was rather boring at times, which is disheartening because Bana is an incredible actor. The film just did not offer him enough material to work with and that is why his performance lacked believability.

While some critics have questioned the interactions between the young Clare and the older Henry, they come off as innocent and endearing, especially compared to similar scenes in “Benjamin Button” which felt perverted and creepy. While there is no denying the obvious chemistry between McAdams and Bana in the film, nothing can equate to the undeniably magical connection between McAdams and Ryan Gosling in “The Notebook,” which everyone will inevitably compare this movie to.

Where the acting succeeded in the film, the screenplay failed miserably. Even writer Bruce Joel Rubin, who penned the popular paranormal romance “Ghost,” failed in successfully translating the romantic novel onto the big screen. The film is full of gaps and there are major plot holes that leave viewers with unanswered questions regarding the science fiction aspect of the story. Long, dull slow spots in the film serve well as time to ponder these inquisitions, but nothing more. Instead of a long pause between dialogues, why not add more passionate scenes? It is the kiss-in-the-rain, cuddling-by-the-fire scenes that leave romantics swooning.

The theme of inevitably doomed love was also too disheartening at times. For example, the song played for the couples’ first dance at their wedding is a cover of “Love Will Tear Us Apart.” Even as a huge fan of Joy Division that seemed a little too gloomy and dark, especially compared to the rest of the movie that attempted to be mirthful despite the obviously fated future of the couple.

Supposedly there were many edits and extra shots that led to the delayed release of “The Time Traveler’s Wife,” which leads me to the conclusion that much of the deeper content was intentionally left out in hopes of appealing to a mainstream audience. Unfortunately, the final cut leaves anyone who has seen the film feeling unsatisfied and a bit perplexed, yet, it still manages to be an enjoyable love story sure to please the romantic in all of us.

3 stars out of 5