Forward Music Fest: Screamin’ Cyn Cyn and the Pons

*Story by Roland Nimis*

Screamin’ Cyn Cyn & The Pons sings songs full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. They bill themselves as theatrical punk and the fabrication is all too transparent.

The singer and keyboardist, Shane O’Brien, dressed in what looked like a loose leotard, complete with big bows on his headband and waist, all covered in glitter and featuring a Marilyn Monroe tattoo. He stared and pointed at particular audience members with desperate eyes, demanding to be loved. He traipsed through a crowd that was not nearly as excited as he was to hear the punk-by-numbers SCC&TP played for too long.

The guitarist, Cynthia Burnson, was half on-board with the act, dressed for a role in Bye Bye Birdie with blue dress and red shoes, occasionally playing on a stepping stool. The bassist and drummer were more concerned with actually playing their instruments, which put the two actors to shame.

O’Brien introduced one of his songs, saying it was about, “Democracy, love, touching your elbows to your knees, and throwing things away.” He did not support this claim with any evidence from the music. The culmination of the embarrassment occurred when O’Brien brandished a pink umbrella for no discernible reason to no fanfare.

SCC&TP has lasted six years, and it would be a shame if they haunted Madison for six more.