Forward Music Fest: Leslie & the Ly’s

Every so often, Leslie and the Ly’s makes a stop in Madison, so it was only natural for this Iowa-based trio to make an appearance at Forward Music Fest. And it’s no wonder this troupe stops here so often – Madison absolutely loves this comedic hip-hop group.

Last night was clearly no different. Audience members were dancing along with Leslie Hall, clearly the “Leslie” of Leslie and the Ly’s, and her two backup vocalists, Sassy Cassie and K to the Double L, during their too-brief set at the Majestic Theatre. Despite their short set, the trio still managed to incite cat calls and hoots from the packed house.

Leslie and the Ly’s really sank their teeth into their set with “Blame the Booty.” Beginning this performance with an anecdote about how her mom created her neon pink and green fringed gold unitard, Leslie rapped “Holla if you hear me, holla if you fear me” and told audience members “don’t, don’t blame me, blame my bootay.” As the trio two-stepped to the beats on Hall’s Mac, a screen above the stage projected images of ’80s work-out tapes.

Also memorable was the group’s performance of “Real Gold and Glamorous” from their lateset release *ceWEBrity*, when an innocent audience member (probably chosen because of his golden outfit) was pulled on-stage and treated to a little bit of Leslie lovin’. However, he probably got a little more than he reckoned for when Hall attempted to rip open his shirt.

Leslie and the Ly’s set ended with a dance to Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” Although uninteresting at first, the trio spiced up their choreography when Hall took the stage and break danced with abandon to wild cheers from her audience.

Presumably, Leslie and the Ly’s will return to Madison in the very near future. It still doesn’t matter how often the group is here; they always get crowds dancing and they certainly always entertain.