Best Newcomer: Sonic Drive-In

After years of being teased by commercials for franchises that were hours away, Madison’s prayers were answered when the Middleton Sonic opened. Sonic offers a classic menu of burgers, onion rings and french fries, as well as wraps, popcorn chicken and the always delicious chili cheese tater tots. Chili cheese tots? And boom goes the dynamite. Sonic’s menu covers a lot of bases, ranging from mozzarella sticks to hot dogs, so there should be something for just about any fast-food craving. The full menu is available all day, meaning French toast sticks for dinner will never be a problem (and it never should be). To further separate it from the traditional fast food place, Sonic totes itself as “Your Ultimate Drink Stop,” offering flavored limeades, slushes and fruit smoothies in addition to sodas. Combined with the option to add one of 16 add-in flavorings, and as the franchise brags, you have over 100,000 different drink options. If you ever wondered what Diet Dr Pepper tastes like with a hint of grape and chocolate, then this is your place. Plus, from 2-4 p.m. every day, it’s “Happy Hour” — meaning half-price drinks and slushes — so you can go beverage crazy while on a budget. Combining the long lost novelty of a drive-in burger joint with a diverse menu, Sonic, if nothing else, offers something new. The food might not be become your favorite ever, but where else can you get a cherry-watermelon limeade with a splash of Powerade?