The Weary Traveler

The waitresses wear cowboy boots, a back wall is lined with board games and the music is just the right volume so you can still carry a conversation with friends. The Weary Traveler on the corner of Williamson and South Few streets, is home to this and so much more.

When opening the pub in January 2002, co-owner and restaurant veteran Bowe Berge wanted a restaurant that fit the neighborhood crowd.

“There was a need for casual dining in this neighborhood that served food late,” Berge said. “[My friends and I] would get off work late and have nowhere to go except [find some] pizza.”

Berge prides his fifth — and favorite — venture into the restaurant business on the fact that they serve food until 1 a.m.

But you won’t find any pizza, nachos or other artificial bar food. The Weary Traveler has something for everyone with their pan-seared Chicken Dijonnaise or Mediterranean Plate, packed with everything from hummus to kalamata olives. But even when you are craving that Certified Angus Beef at midnight, this is the place to be.

Bob’s Bad Breath Burger may not sound appetizing, but instead of reaching for a pack of gum, it will definitely leave you wanting more of its juicy, meatiness. Bob, the father of co-owner Bregan Fuller, is the master who gets credit for inventing the unusual medley of ingredients which include cream cheese, green goddess dressing, caramelized onions, garlic, tomatoes and mild Pickapeppa Sauce.

This one-of-a-kind creation is the single most popular item on the menu, according to Berge. But if the cream cheese burger, Yukon Gold potatoes and mixed greens for just $8.75 aren’t enough, The Weary Traveler’s full bar also serves pitchers of beer ranging from $12 to $15 and promises to ensure a good time.

When it’s busy, the food takes about 30 minutes, but it’s worth the wait. The warm and welcoming environment is a refreshing change of pace because it’s not usually filled with the typical college kid mobs and Berge insists the place “has a good neighborhood crowd of all ages.”

The weekend crowd might come for the food, but they will definitely stay for the atmosphere. Old instruments and life-sized chess pieces add life to the plain walls while the random framed photos, such as a “family portrait” that looks like it came from a JCPenny, complete with comb-overs and striped sweaters, give it a finishing touch.

One thing missing from the decor of The Weary Traveler? The stereotypical need for extreme technology, such as Wi-Fi or plasma screens.

“We have no TVs or ads. Here, your entertainment for the night is the person you came with,” Berge said. “You’re not distracted by flashy beer signs.”

If you want to avoid being bombarded with trendy and annoying music videos and spend some quality time away from the usual crowd, The Weary Traveler is the perfect escape. But the bottom of the menu sums up best.

“Bright people always read the fine print. Choice is good… and you chose an independent restaurant… you rock.”

4 1/2 stars out of 5