Swankiest hot-people bar

Blue-Velvet002

A soft metropolitan atmosphere, vibrantly upscale aura and exquisitely refined top shelf largely define Madison’s one genuine martini joint. Neither weekly games of chance nor the primitive aroma of freshly crisped lard are necessary to draw Blue Velvet’s altogether sophisticated crowd, with some of the city’s top bodies and minds quietly sifting through the huddled masses and into this West Gilman Street locale.

With pinkies out and collars popped, the vox populi of Blue Velvet is more eloquent and verbose than that of its hops-reliant, oft-odiferous downtown competitors. Champagne, gin, vodka and countless fruits of the vine are identified here by repute and vintage, respectively, not generic conformity with a given rail or pre-hyped caffeine-rich mixer. Beautiful minds, like beautiful people, seek beautiful drinks, and there is not a single beastly quality to hamper the delicate, rich experience that is an evening at this esteemed speakeasy.

College is about two types of class — one attended periodically throughout the week, one displayed at all times. For those comfortable with both ends of this complex spectrum, Blue Velvet is the place for you — the drinks are phenomenal, the people cerebral and the eye candy spectacular. It’s more Bond than it is bondage, hip than it is hippie and a perfect five than it is a simple bar.