Best place to act like a 5-year-old again

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]VilasZoo_JS[/media-credit]

What better way to hearken back to a much simpler time of being a 5-year-old, away from the pressures and stress of college, than by taking a leisurely tour through Henry Vilas Zoo?

Located less than a mile south of Camp Randall at the end of Randall Avenue in Vilas Park, awaits a 30-acre sprawling expanse of exotic animals.

From ring-tailed lemurs to the impressive African lions, the zoo offers something for everyone’s interests.

Although not as large or comprehensive as the zoos found in San Diego or even Milwaukee, the charming Henry Vilas Zoo provides ample opportunities to learn about unique and endangered species of all shapes and sizes.

In the next decade, the zoo also plans to expand into a small Epcot-like park with a North American Prairie and Arctic Passage to provide distinct zones to provide simulations of real-life environments for the already-displayed polar bears, snow owls, bison, prairie dogs and badgers.

Guests can enjoy a snack or even a full meal at the zoo’s concession stand for a reasonable price from April to October and stop by the gift shop to stock up on fun souvenirs and quirky knick-knacks of all sorts.

Remarkably, the Henry Vilas Zoo remains one of the only free-parking, free-admission zoos in the nation. The free entertainment is certainly cheaper than an evening at the opera or at one of Madison’s fine drinking establishments.

Although relying heavily on private donations, the $1.8 million annual operating budget is funded 80 percent by Dane County and 20 percent by the city.

The zoo also coordinates yearly events like its Feast with the Beasts, Zoo Run Run and Halloween at the Zoo.

Except for some holidays, the Henry Vilas Zoo is open every day, year-round, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.