Eldorado Grill

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Eldorado_JN[/media-credit]On a Friday night, Eldorado Grill, 744 Williamson St., is the perfect restaurant to enjoy Southwestern entrees and margaritas far from the plebeians on State Street. The traditional Tex-Mex (and surprisingly vegetarian-friendly) menu has a touch of upscale presentation and quality perfect for impressing a special someone without an unbearable hit to the wallet.

Built from the remains of an old candy factory, the restaurant's Southwestern motif blends well to create a rustic, yet modern feel. Next door there is a quiet coffee shop perfect for after-dinner discussion. The interior is decked out with horseshoes and leather chandeliers, but the low lighting and excellent food avoid a hokey, family-restaurant feeling.

With entree prices ranging from $8 to $20, it can be tempting to go cheap, but the extra few dollars go a long way. Appetizers highlights include the chips and salsa ($1.79) and the potato and mushroom empanadas ($7.29). The soups and salads are standard for their prices; the spinach and goat cheese salad ($4.99) and white corn soup ($3.99) are among the better selections.

The unique entree selection is really what puts Eldorado in a different category than other restaurants. The gargantuan menu begins with standard dishes like chicken fajitas ($13.99) and corn tortillas ($10.49), and moves onto more elaborate choices like blackened catfish ($17.99). While the entire menu's presentation and quality of ingredients seems to be even across the board, portion size is certainly reflected in the price.

My personal favorite is the grilled chicken with mango BBQ sauce ($17.99). The large portion of free-range chicken with mango sauce is garnished with pineapple chutney and a corn cake and comes with sides of spinach and mashed potatoes. A mix of traditional cooking and new-age experimentation, this dish tastes like heaven.

Avoid the 30-something yuppie crowd that comes in droves around 8 o'clock and the more experimental-sounding margaritas, and you will have a pleasant, reasonably priced dining experience at Eldorado.