Amy’s Cafe

Easily lost amid the bevy of State Street bars and restaurants is Amy's Café, 414 W. Gilman St., and that's a damn shame.

Because at Amy's UW students can find the best of both worlds — great food as well as a relaxed bar atmosphere, and both at reasonable prices.

Located just off State Street (right across the street from the far inferior Yummy Buffet), Amy's offers a plethora of food options to either carry out or eat there.
Along with arguably the best burgers in town, Amy's offers chicken sandwiches ranging from Teriyaki to Buffalo to Caesar styles, and various Greek options including gyros and a bizarre Spinach Cheese Pie.

Most options come with either fries or pasta salad, and you can opt out for the spicy fries or a side salad for an extra 50 cents. Go with the pasta salad, though, even if you'd typically go with the fries. You won't regret it.

What makes Amy's truly special is how well it combines both its dining options and drinking options. While nearly every other venue in this guide identifies as primarily a drinking establishment, or primarily a dining establishment, Amy's is the rare locale that successfully blends the best of both worlds.

The drinks are good stuff. They're not too stiff, because at Amy's the focus is more on enjoying your drinks and enjoying the evening, rather than getting absolutely hammered — that is, unless you are there for the drink specials.

And for those college students worried about racking up a big bar bill, the price is right as well. Stop by Amy's from 9:30-11:30 any night of the week, and you'll get all drinks at 50 percent off the regular fare.

It's easy to overlook, but Amy's is a worthwhile stop along the long line of State Street bars and restaurants — day or night.