Lava Lounge

Nestled among the more mainstream University Avenue bars like Wando's and Brothers is the Lava Lounge (461 W. Gilman St.), an out-of-the-way hangout that offers a refreshing break from the usual campus scene.

The Lava Lounge has a little something for every type of bar-goer. The jukebox includes everything from Andrew W.K. to Johnny Cash, the drink specials are some of the best in the downtown area, and the clientele seems to be different every night. One evening the bar might be filled with tattooed, pierced patrons of the upstairs business, The Piercing Lounge and Blue Lotus Tattoo. On another night, you'll find hockey or basketball fans, fresh from a game at the nearby Kohl Center.

The Lava Lounge specializes in tiki drinks, tropical concoctions blended to perfection and served in pint glasses. Among the best of these is the Lava Lounge Punch, which tastes a lot like Sweet-Tarts candy. If a tiki drink isn't your style, sample the extensive lineup of beer, bottled and tap, ranging from Old Style in 16-ounce cans to Great Dane German pilsner.

With a long bar, several tables and plenty of standing room, the décor of the Lava Lounge is nothing to scoff at, either. Pictures of surfers and tiki memorabilia abound, and the bamboo posts and wall coverings near the tables provide a kind of ’50s vintage atmosphere.

A pool table, two dartboards, a Ms. Pac-Man arcade game and a computerized game system round out the entertainment, and the bartenders are always quick and efficient. If you want a break from the ordinary, check out the Lava Lounge any night of the week.