McBain going pro

The Wisconsin State Journal is reporting?that Wisconsin junior defenseman Jamie McBain has decided to leave school a year early and go pro.

McBain, a second-round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes, led the Badger men’s hockey team in scoring this season with 37 points. One of UW’s assistant captains, he was also named the WCHA’s Player of the Year and is a Top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.

A year ago, McBain made a somewhat surprising decision?to return for his junior season. At that time, I asked McBain if he expected to be in Madison for four seasons, to which he said, “I haven’t looked that far into it. I love it here. I love college, but we’ll see how next year goes.”

Judging by his performance as a junior, McBain’s decision to go pro shouldn’t surprise anyone.

UPDATE: According to the Hurricanes’ team site, McBain has signed a three-year contract that will pay him $600,000 a season at the NHL level and $62,500 at the minor-league level. He will also receive a $255,000 signing bonus. He is scheduled to join the team for the 2009-10 season.

Check Friday’s Badger Herald for more, where we will hopefully hear from McBain about his decision.