Arizona prep star commits to UW

Wisconsin men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan added to his 2008 recruiting class Monday when Phoenix-area 6-foot-7 swingman Ryan Evans gave the UW program a verbal commitment.

As a senior this season at Chandler Hamilton High School, Evans scored nearly 20 points per game and grabbed about 7 rebounds per game, leading his team to the Arizona 5A state semifinal.

Evans high school career will have prepared him for life in Ryan’s Swing offense. Without a major post player, Hamilton head coach Kevin Hartwig said Evans played both inside and out and had success both ways.

“We had a lot of movement (in the offense) where Ryan could use his flexibility,” Hartwig said by phone Monday morning. “He can shoot the three, he can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. … As the year progressed, he got a lot better with his inside play and posting guys up.”

Evans was on a visit of the school March 3, when Wisconsin beat Penn State to clinch a share of the Big Ten championship and chose UW over reported offers from Pepperdine and Portland State.

Look for complete and updated coverage later tonight and in Wednesday’s The Badger Herald.