Prank video on campus is seriously cringeworthy

Literally no one wants to ‘come over and pop in a Blu-Ray’
Screenshot from Youtube

Harassing a stranger: shitty.

Harassing a stranger and filming it: comedic gold.

This appears to be the unfortunate delusion of Youtube channel LAHWF, who released a prank video Thursday that takes place on the University of Wisconsin campus.

In the video, a man named Andrew accosts Madison pedestrians, most of them females, making brief, cumbersome conversation before posing the question, “I’m gonna jet on out of here, do you wanna come back to my place and pop in a Blu-Ray?”

As one would expect, responses are invariably negative.

That’s it. That’s the whole premise.

The painful Blu-Ray catchphrase sounds like a cut-rate ripoff from an Eric Andre sketch, adding another layer of unoriginality to this disappointing production.

To his credit, Andrew has a very respectable collection of Blu-Ray DVDs, but I wish his merits extended beyond this. The goal of creating a moment of awkwardness between two strangers seems terribly unambitious for a grown adult with an inexplicably successful Youtube channel.

He appears in an array of other prank videos on the channel, all of similarly despicable calibre. His fumbling attempts at humor usually take the form of harassing strangers in public, and assumes the resulting discomfort will be classified as remotely humorous. His videos overwhelmingly target women, subjecting them to lewd remarks and even unwanted sexual advances.

Justifying these videos by dismissively saying “it’s just a prank!” is a lousy excuse. By most standards, walking up to a stranger and bluntly proposing sex is rightfully considered an unacceptable thing to do. Adding a camera to the equation doesn’t justify childish, ignorant and embarrassing conduct.

If you want to cringe through 3 minutes and 16 seconds, you can watch the video below: