From Lizzo to Freakfest, October has all your arts needs covered

After stacked September, October aims to follow up with popular music-heavy lineup headlined by Lizzo, Lil Yachty, Chris Stapleton
Riley Steinbrenner

September brought Madison an exciting variety of arts and entertainment events, so if you missed these events we are sorry, but don’t hold your head down because the October slate is quite promising. 

You might be thinking, ‘Well how can October top acts such as Nick Offerman, The Head and the Heart, “Evil Dead: The Musical,” Strfkr, “Book of Mormon” and an electric start to the Badger football season?’

That is a fair question, and the October lineup may not be as flashy to some, but it does offer plenty of highlights as well as intriguing sleeper picks.

Lizzo brings bold vocals, unapologetic self-love to Shannon Hall

Here is a prospective look at some of the best October has to offer. 

October 8

One of the first big entertainment events of the month asks us to take a trip back to our childhood as “SpongeBob SquarePants: The Broadway Musical” takes over the Overture from Oct. 8-13. You may laugh at the idea of committing to see a musical of a kids show, but do not be fooled. Tina Landau’s direction allows for plenty of fun and nostalgia in a production that received high critical praise upon its release, earning a whopping 12 Tony Award nominations. It may just be a pleasant surprise waiting to happen.

October 10

Perhaps the strongest aspect of the October events is the musical lineup.

Oct. 10, Lizzo is coming to treat a big crowd at the Sylvee. The Minneapolis rapper and singer has been making waves since her major-label debut in 2016. Her first major-label, full-length album dropped this past February and features a plethora of chart-topping pop bangers that all but guarantee Lizzo is here to stay.

If you are looking for a more intimate show the night of Lizzo’s performance, Michigander’s performance at High Noon Saloon may be what you are looking for. The young Michigan native has garnered early critical acclaim and his Sept. 13 EP release means a show full of new music exploring themes of navigating through hardships.

If poetry interests you and you are seeking a wholesome night you can RSVP for Mary Oliver & The Art of Observation in Nature from 6:30-8 p.m. Instructor Troy Hess will guide you through various techniques based on observation. This could be one of the more unique and fulfilling nights you spend in Madison.

All eyes on Milwaukee: Summerfest gearing for biggest year yet

October 11

The music continues Oct. 11 with two bumping shows from DJs Zedd at the Sylvee and Joyryde at Liquid. While both have hit some massive stages and festivals, Zedd has been in the game a bit longer with a couple highly recognizable electronic hits. Both DJs are quite talented, so you cannot go wrong with whichever show you choose. 

October 12

For all you retail and fashion lovers, the Sylvee is hosting the charitable Fashion Forward show. It promises to be one of the biggest fashion shows Madison has ever seen featuring numerous catwalk performances, live music and time for each local store to orchestrate a fashion show that speaks to the heart of the respective brand. 

October 17

Madison follows a comedic show from Nick Offerman in September with a comedic show from Chris Distefano with six shows in three day span from Oct. 17-19. The New York-based comedian and actor has gained quite the following after a productive couple of years on podcasts, TV and stand-up circuits. Distefano is a part of the Comedy on State series. 

October 24

Arguably the strongest day of music in October is when Chris Stapleton, Cherub and Whethan all perform in Madison at three different locations. 

Country music star Chris Stapleton warrants the biggest stage, so he will be at the Alliant Energy Center, while Cherub will perform at the Majestic Theatre and Whethan at Liquid. 

Each show is wildly different from the other, so it’s up to you to decide what you are in the mood for that night.

October 25

The long anticipated Hamel Music Center kicks off its official opening in grand fashion with ribbon cutting, a speech from Chancellor Blank and performances from the Mead Witter School of Music’s undergrad and graduate students as well as faculty and alumni. This music center will allow for benefits the music school and all others who will enjoy its services have never before been able to enjoy. 

International Festival brings various cultures, performers to Overture Center

We must also not forget the Freakfest festival on Saturday, Oct. 26, which will be headlined by Lil Yachty. The massive annual event is one of the biggest and most well-known bashes of the fall, bringing out tons of locals. 

Make sure to mark your calendars and buy all your tickets, because October is just a week away!