Early Oscar predictions round out with spring, fall releases

‘Rocketman,’ ‘Ad Astra’ among films with the potential to wow audiences next month

Hollywood’s biggest night came and went in 2019 in grand fashion, as it does every year. Some awards were well-deserved, while others were subject to controversy and debate.

Regardless, people form their own opinions, and thus there is always disagreement over winners and losers. One thing I think we can all agree on, however, is that we love anticipating which movies are destined for Oscar recognition and glory.

The last few films on our watchlist include movies coming out as soon as next month, so be sure to mark them on your calendar.

‘Fair and Balanced,’ ‘The Irishman’ expected to make waves at future awards ceremonies

“Ford Vs. Ferrari” (Nov. 15)

This James Mangold film tells the true story about the rivalry between automakers Ford and Ferrari that began when American engineers for Ford were determined to create a new automobile to defeat the Ferrari and win the 24 Hours of Le Mans sports car race in 1966. While this story may sound hit or miss for a feature movie depending on who you talk to, one cannot deny the star power attached to the film. This movie has Christian Bale, Matt Damon and Jon Bernthal in lead roles. Bale in particular has been pretty cautious with his roles, so it’s a good sign the script and vision of the director caught his attention. With studs like this it’s hard to ignore the movie’s potential.

“Ad Astra” (May 24)

Though the movie is set to be released in around two months, a trailer has yet to be released and nobody is really talking about it.

This one may or may not belong on this list, but it is a risk I am willing to take. Director/writer James Gray is at the helm leading a cast that includes Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. It’s a science fiction movie about astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) who travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of Earth.

Any ambitious space movie has the chance to be visually stunning and logically and emotionally complex. There have also been promises that this will be one of the most realistic deep space odysseys yet. This movie has the potential to wow and excite, so maybe — just maybe we will see it around awards time next year.

A prospective look at upcoming, Oscar-worthy films

“Rocketman” (May 31)

Another early bird film, Dexter Fletcher’s biopic about Elton John has the iconic singer himself on as an executive producer.

The movie has already created a lot of buzz after dropping its trailer and revealing that its star, Taron Eggerton, did his own singing in the movie. This performance could be a massive breakthrough for the young star.

Given the massive success of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” despite sub-par critic reviews, “Rocketman” could be this year’s musical fan favorite. The trailer shows off many of Elton’s iconic performances and costumes but also appears to dive deep into his struggles and overall life journey. Maybe this one will fare better with critics while still pleasing mass audiences.

These are just a few movies in a long list coming out in 2019 that have serious Oscar potential. A few other titles to be on the lookout for include “The Report,” “Jojo Rabbit,” “The Laundromat,” “1917,” “Joker” and “The Goldfinch.” In due time, we will see which of these titles fulfill their potential, which will flop, and which movies come out of nowhere to surprise. No matter what happens though, it’s exciting to forecast the year ahead in film and start putting together your watchlist.