Hitlist: Soundtrack for your International Women’s Day

Music to remind you just how powerful women really are — featuring Joyce Wrice, Alicia Keys, Jazmine Sullivan
Haley Winckler

Happy International Women’s Day! Let’s all take today to thank and appreciate the women we care about in our lives and those who inspire us every day.

Whenever I think of inspiring women, not only do I think of my family members, close friends, teachers and mentors, but of strong female music artists.

You can connect with vocalists and musicians in a different way than you do to other people, as music is a medium that has the power to touch your heart, mind and soul in a very direct communicative fashion.

Today, I have put together another slightly extensive playlist of amazing female talents that, when mashed together into one playlist, create a melodic soup for the soul. Jamila Woods, Solange, Kali Uchis and a few more household names can be found on this tracklist.

Anna McClellan’s ‘Yes and No’ searches for control in world without it

Not only is today the perfect day for this playlist — although women make flawless music every day — I encourage you to text, call, snap or even email the special women in your life today (any men reading along, this applies to you). Read a bit more up about women’s history and dig deeper into research about globally influential women across the globe. If you happen to identify as a woman, I challenge you to reflect on the qualities that make you unique and to do one thing today that makes you happy.

As a woman, sometimes it seems as if the whole world wants you to fail. But that is why we all have to work a million times harder. There is no better way to motivate yourself to reach your fullest potential than listening to the voices of other incredible women.  

1. Something in the Way- Jorja Smith
  2. Confidently Lost- Sabrina Claudio
  3. Cranes in the Sky- Solange
  4. VRY BLK- Jamila Woods feat. Noname
  5. Legend- ALMA
  6. Rocket Science- Joyce Wrice
  7. Honey- Kehlani
  8. Smile More- Syd
  9. Garden (Say it Like Dat)- SZA
  10. Excuse Me- Jazmine Sullivan
  11. Fallin’- Alicia Keys
  12. Can’t Wait- Jill Scott
  13. On & On- Erykah Badu
  14. Doo Wop (That Thing)- Ms. Lauryn Hill
  15. Know What I Know- Kali Uchis
  16. Focus- H.E.R
  17. I Don’t Care- Elle Varner