2 Chainz releases typical trap music, nothing too exciting on latest EP

Each track is pretty decent, but not groundbreaking enough to leave huge impression as standouts
Flickr

Rapper 2 Chainz, now known for his hilarious role as host of Viceland’s “Most Expensivest,” in which he reviews a bunch of extremely expensive products, knows a thing or two about what it means to live lavishly as reflected in most of his music.

His passion toward rapping about the money he made from rapping is weaved throughout his latest EP The Play Don’t Care Who Makes It, which basically just sounds like the most typical 2 Chainz track to exist.

The Play Don’t Care Who Makes It consists of four songs including “OK BITCH,” “PROUD” featuring YG and Offset,
“LAND OF THE FREAKS” and “LAMBORGHINI TRUCK (ATLANTA SHIT).” Yes, the aggressive caps locked titles seem a bit intimidating as does his excessive use of synth snares and other trap beats. But on the contrary, I would consider this album to be pretty chill.

SoMo delivered chill, care-free pop performance to Majestic for ‘My Life III: The Reservations Tour’

By chill, I mean somewhat underwhelming but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. You could listen to “OK BITCH” when driving down the highway if you’re in generally good spirits, but not in the mood to listen to a song that will distract you too much.

“PROUD” speaks of 2 Chainz, YG and Offset’s desire to make their mothers proud of them through succeeding in the music industry. Due to 2 Chainz and Migos having very similar voices and taste in terms of instrumentals, Offset sounds just at home on this track. They all sing, “Yeah, mama ain’t raise no ho,” as to say they are focused on music and their careers so they will not allow women to distract them.

Hitlist: Get in that Tyler, The Creator, Vince Staples mood ahead of Thursday’s concert

Speaking of Migos, the beat drop in which the rhythm switches up in “LAND OF THE FREAKS” can be compared to the similar drop in their recent hit “MotorSport.” This song is essentially a middle finger to the haters as 2 Chainz is now constantly working hard in the studio and getting the money and recognition he feels he deserves.

This tracks sounds all too similar to much of 2 Chainz’s work on his previous album Pretty Girls Like Trap Music, yet at some point it gets a bit redundant as it feels as if it is missing some additional element such as another layer of beats or a vocal feature.

Blackbear’s latest release relies on generic sounds to please mainstream listeners

The last song on this EP, “LAMBORGHINI TRUCK (ATLANTA SHIT),” starts off with smooth female classical R&B sounding improvised vocals. This tune is much slower than the others as he sings about other artists and friends that have stuck with him along his journey towards fame.

The lamborghini truck symbolizes a goal 2 Chainz has always wanted to reach. Lyrics are filled with shoutouts to all of the people that he is thankful to.

Porches brings grounded moodiness, lush atmosphere to High Noon Saloon

He even sings, “Even if you didn’t support me, somehow you supported me.” That’s deep.

Though I am a huge 2 Chainz fan, I must say that his latest EP, especially following his prior album which I loved, was a bit of a disappointment. Some of the tracks just need a little more love, some more flavor added in as it feels like he just rushed to release these.

I want to challenge 2 Chainz to challenge himself more. I hope to see more creativity from him in the future as I know that my roommates will dance along to only the first half of these songs until I’m told to play something else, probably Drake’s “God’s Plan.”

Rating: 3/5