In a pair of blue jeans, a black silk button up and a black hat, ZZ Ward kept her style simple to accentuate her vocal range that was anything but. Despite the snow, it was well worth waiting outside for her Tuesday performance at the Majestic.

Openers Billy Raffoul and Black Pistol Fire amped up the crowd’s energy in anticipation. Raffoul’s dreamy voice was raspy to perfection.

“I would actually hire him to personally sing me lullabies,” my friend who I brought along said. His voice was just that interesting and satisfying to listen to.

Japanese Breakfast curates emotionally provocative performance at the SettThe University of Wisconsin Union Directorate Music welcomed Japanese Breakfast to the Sett, along with special guests Mannequin Pussy and Read…

Black Pistol Fire provided a pure rock and roll performance as the lead singer and guitarist jumped and rolled all around the stage. He even stepped into the crowd at one point, which really got everyone pumped for Ward.

Despite the fact my friend and I were definitely the only college students in attendance, let alone the only concert goers below the approximate age of 34 in the crowd, her performance did not feel comparable to a senior citizen. The energy on stage between all members of her band, including one specifically cute bass guitarist (Max, if you’re reading this, please call me), was undeniable.

Shamir combines eclectic sounds, personal experiences in creation of third LPShamir began his artistic debut into the spotlight with his first full-length LP, Ratchet, in 2015 — which broke out Read…

ZZ Ward is the real deal in terms of sounding exactly like her vocal bytes on Spotify. She’s real.

It’s easy to connect with her as a fan as she emits a friendly and easy-going vibrancy. Her vocals were insane despite her laid back and humble disposition.

“Cannonball,” “Ghosts,” “Bag of Bones” and “Domino” were just a handful of songs that the audience was able to deeply connect with. In fact, a man behind me kept trying to match her exact notes, including her freestyled runs. Let’s just say … he should stick to his day job.  

Slow Pulp continues to mesh raw, messy style with dreamy effortlessnessSlow Pulp just released their first official music video, directed by Damien Blue, for their track “Preoccupied.” The song comes Read…

There is a familiarity with Ward’s voice in that, at times, she can be compared to Adele with a pinch of Demi Lovato and a dash of Elle King with an American-blues twist. Despite most of the lyrics in her latest songs speaking about graves, bones and ghosts — as well as touching upon the topics of loneliness and heartbreak — Ward had the time of her life on that stage.

Did you think all of the harmonica melodies on her album were the work of another musician? Well, then you thought wrong. Ward took out her harmonica periodically throughout her performance and either plugged it into the amplifier or played it directly into the microphone.

Stories Etc: ‘The Tea Kettle,’ ‘Sitting in a Coffee Shop’ compel readers to deeply observe, experience surroundingsWelcome to StoriesEtc, a place where University of Wisconsin students can share their original works of creative writing with the Read…

This unique talent set her apart from other American-blues folk artists and, boy, does she have quite the lung capacity. As my voice goes hoarse after only some slight stress, I kept wondering throughout her performance how she was capable of transitioning from low and soulful to higher pitches so perfectly.

There were some points throughout her performance that definitely surprised me, such as when she sang “Merry Well” as the lyrics include “I ride in my Benzy / With the ice on my wrist / Crash it if I wanna /’Cause I buy my own shit.”

First Aid Kit’s ‘Ruins’ drenched in nostalgia, speaks to their personal bouts of heartbreakAptly titled, Ruins, the fourth album from the Söderberg sisters, also known as First Aid Kit, is a testament to Read…

As it can be implied, these lyrics did not compliment her somewhat innocent All-American gal image. As a major hip hop fan myself, however, she appealed to that specific taste of mine to some degree.

Somehow, Ward was capable of walking the line between sweet, sexy and badass while still providing a cohesive set with effortless transitions between melodies. Among her vocals, guitars (yes, she had multiple) and harmonica, it is clear that she is not only talented but dedicated to and passionate about music.

Through music, knowledge, a sense of community strengthenedFree the 350 Bail Fund is a relatively new organization that addresses mass incarceration by aiming to undermine such modern-day Read…

“Her voice is ridiculous. She’s so talented,” the guy to my left said multiple times throughout the performance to his date. There was a couple up on the balcony to stage left that were definitely getting a little bit too frisky on a Tuesday night, but at least they chilled out a bit during the violent head-nod inducing guitar and drum solos.

Despite Ward’s recurring theme of sinister blues, she also brings positivity and light through her love of Christ, and you can tell that although she has been hurt in the game of love, she has not completely given up faith on it either.

Although I did not feel as if I was among peers or a crowd I fit in with, I still managed to thoroughly enjoy her performance as she is an undeniably skilled vocal force. I am excited to see where music takes her, and I hope to someday attend another one of her concerts.