‘Moana’ breaks all the norms of being a Disney Princess

Disney gifts first Pacific Islander princess
Courtesy of Giphy

“Moana” is a children’s film that has been getting a lot of buzz since its release Nov. 23. This latest newest Disney princess film brings all of the aspects everyone loves about the classic Disney movies but with a fresh perspective.

The story follows Moana (Auli’I Cravalho), daughter to the chief of a Polynesian tribe. She learned about a legend from her grandmother Tala (Rachel House), who claimed that Te Fiti, the all-known island goddess, had a heart with the power to create life, but it was stolen by demi-god Maui(Dwayne Johnson) who planned on giving the heart to all of humanity.

Moana hears this legend and knows it is true when the ocean chooses her to go find the heart and return it to her people. Following her own curiosities, and the spirit of her grandmother, Moana sets out on a journey to find Maui and have him return the heart to humanity and save her island. She must do what is best for her people and learn how to be the leader they need, while on the adventure of a lifetime.

Many norms that have been common to Disney movie viewers are broken in this film. It is refreshing to see a princess who is the hero of her own story. Moana does not have a love interest, and she is often the one coming to the rescue of Maui. She is also only 14 years old, though young age typically has not stood in the way of Disney film creators.

‘The Crown’ brings new rendition of royalty to Netflix

She will be the first female chief of her tribe and does not need to be married to assume her leadership role. She describes herself as the daughter of the chief, not as a princess. Maui also furthers the sense gender equality by describing himself as “hero of men,” but then adding “and women.” Moana is fiercely independent and is the only Disney princess other than “Frozen’s” Elsa without any sort of prince.

Moana is also the first Pacific Islander princess, which expands the racial identities of Disney princesses. There is also the aspect of teaching the audience about a new culture and its history, which most children’s movies do not often do. Moana is a fresh and relatable girl who does not fit the typical physical or cultural mold of most princesses.

The music, fun yet moving, is written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of the acclaimed “Hamilton.” “How Far I’ll Go” is meant to be the title song by Moana, but it does not stick like other classic Disney songs. But even without one stand out tune, the overall soundtrack is well developed and unique. Miranda creates complex lyrics, combining hip-hop and island music to create a genre of music never heard in a Disney movie.

The movie gifts themes of friendship, humor and adventure in a way that will be enjoyable for both children and their parents. Young girls and boys will love Moana’s strength, fantastic adventures and funny companions. Disney has finally begun to branch out, and that’s something everyone can look forward to.