The Gr8 Unknowns: Abhi the Nomad

Our undiscovered musical gems
Jonathan Swecker/Meridian Media

Welcome, readers, to my brand-spankin’ new column where I will attempt to instill my self-proclaimed-music-guru-knowledge upon you.

The point of this column is so I can share artists who, while super talented, aren’t yet recognized to their fullest potential.  

This week I would like to present to you: Abhi the Nomad.

Abhi the Nomad has created a sound for himself that is completely unique by joining together the forces of hip-hop and indie music. He creates a dynamic between rapping and singing over the top of indie pop beats — some with heavy drums, some with Madeon electro-pop leaning and others with chill acoustics and anything in between.

The fluidity with which Abhi creates his music leaves no room for boredom. His listeners are always left wanting more. Every song implements a different sound — it’s like he’s constantly experimenting with new things, and by doing so, extending the reach of his artistic abilities. Because of this, there is something for everyone in his collection.

Abhi’s voice honestly leaves me swooning. He can sing soft and sultry on songs like “Underdog (feat. Copper King)” (his newly released 2016 single), or he can catch listeners off guard with vocals in his higher range with songs like “Floors (feat. King Sadboy).”

It was that song that hooked me in the first place. The song begins with a single sound, and then more instruments start to layer on top until it turns into an all encompassing musical journey. It also has quite an infectious beat.

Another huge plus to Abhi’s music is that each song has its own feel. You could listen to one song that could make you want to fuck shit up (“Yardsale (feat. Foster & Copper King)”), and then there are songs that make you want to sit back and think about the meaning of life (“Some Assembly Required”).

Abhi likes to do collaborations with other artists, often bringing out the best in himself and the other artists. A perfect example of this would be the song “Calcutta (feat. Foster).” Abhi opens the song and Foster comes in and lays down some sick rhymes. Funny enough, Abhi and Foster have united for a separate venture: a band called El Capitán.

Another thing that is admirable about Abhi is that he is an Indian rapper in a field where this is essentially unheard of.

Overall, as an artist, Abhi doesn’t just stop at the music that he puts on Spotify. If you follow him on Facebook you can see that he likes to create different, fun music videos to correlate with his songs, or videos just for fun. He also likes to experiment with different freestyle raps, like his one for Halloween.

Abhi is taking the bull by the horns and rendering it tame. (By the bull, I mean the music industry. And by rendering it tame, I mean inserting himself into it without fear and lighting that shit on fire).