Top 10 albums of the semester

Beyoncé, Kendrick along with others made 2016 one to remember
Kendrick.
YOU4EYA.TUMBLR.COM / Giphy
Kendrick.

There’s nothing that breaks up the monotony of daily college life quite like a good album release.

Lecture halls buzz with speculation of deeper meanings, party playlists are enlivened with fresh tunes and most importantly the walk to class becomes a reward rather than a chore.

Here are The Badger Herald’s 10 albums that made our 2016 spring semester relatively bearable — in no particular order.

The Life of Pablo by Kanye West

“While the situation surrounding the actual release of the album was a little sketchy, The Life of Pablo has just about everything … Couple that with a Chance the Rapper feature, a Kendrick Lamar feature, a Chris Brown feature and a couple of Desiigner features, and you have something damn near a masterpiece.” — Michael Huiznega

“Kanye West’s album The Life Of Pablo is a sprawling canvas that is comprised of each of Kanye’s periods. Ye’s early College Dropout/Late Registration “chop up the soul beats” coexist with minimalistic and industrial Yeezus flavored soundscapes. Its Yeezy’s most comprehensive (and controversial) work to date that is as much a historical homage as it is a vision of the future.” — Brian Vanden Hogen

Kanye West’s ‘The Life of Pablo’ is reminiscent of previous album themes with intricate gospel blend

Lukas Graham by Lukas Graham

“Almost four years ago, the father of Lukas Graham-Forchammer passed away. Filled with sorrow, Graham-Forchammer turned to the most beautiful outlet: writing. The self-titled world-wide album is arguably the most personal effort of the year so far. His soulful vocals illuminate every song, as he portrays his vocal range and strength.”

— Rebecca Lawlor

Lukas Graham’s debut release is lyrical perfection

Blackstar by David Bowie

“While some may attribute the success of this record to the exposure it received following Bowie’s death only a few days after its release, to say this album doesn’t stand on its own merit is wholly wrong. A jazzy and adventurous album, Bowie put together a parting gift that, at the time, only he knew would be a parting gift.” 

— Sam Cleveland

Imagine listening to David Bowie in Madison with bootleg of live performance

You’ll Pay For This by Bear Hands

“Previous to this album, Bear Hands had made some pretty dope tunes. It wasn’t until this album came out that I realized how radical they truly are. The songs are not only catchy, the lyrics speak about issues we’ve all experienced. Bear Hands’ sound is unconventional, and paired with the lead singer’s mouth-watering voice, this album stands out amidst the mainstream.” 

— Celeste Benzschawel

Next Thing by Frankie Cosmos

“Next Thing says so much with so little. The lyrics are unassuming and the instrumentation is understated; yet each song feels like a dissertation on human behavior. Each line delivered by Greta Kline is filled with acute observations caked in a matter-of-fact naivety that keep the stanzas lighthearted and digestible in light of their depth. It’s a combination that is as whimsical as it is thought provoking.”

— Brian Vanden Hogen

Frankie Cosmos’ insightful lyricism made for touching concert

This is Acting by Sia

“Consisting of songs written for and rejected by other artists, Sia’s seventh studio album is more than just songs — it is a statement. With This is Acting, Sia proves she has undeniable talent, and even her “worst,” rejected songs still have merit. After being in the industry for almost 20 years, Sia has finally found the success and comfort to express herself the way she so desires. Soulful tracks such as ‘Reaper,’ ‘Bird Set Free’ and ‘Alive’ all showcase the singer’s impressive vocal range and raw talent.”

— Rebecca Lawlor

Sia’s experiments with new album, proving to be transformative, versatile

Untitled Unmastered by Kendrick Lamar

“That Kendrick can release a set of throwaways, tracks that to him are not even worth naming, and still put out a project that outclasses the vast majority of his contemporaries is as astonishing as it is telling of his artistry. In particular, on ‘Untitled 3’ he produces a track as pleasing as it is richly contemplative. Kendrick is running rap, and we are all just along for the ride. Let’s just hope it never ends.”

— Henry Solotaroff-Webber

Kendrick Lamar’s jazz-infused EP ‘untitled unmastered.’ features collection of demos with raw, live sound

Malibu by Anderson .Paak

“Released in early January, Anderson .Paak masterfully wedded R&B, funk and hip-hop on Malibu. The album has a type of exuberance that calls to mind Chance the Rapper, while the smoothness evokes Frank Ocean. On Malibu, .Paak succeeded in crafting a little more than an hour-worth of bouncy, glowing tunes that scream, ‘Put me on your summer playlist.'” 

— Sam Cleveland

Anderson .Paak delivers on soulful, super-charged Malibu

Human Performance by Parquet Courts

“While the album has little to no direction, sometimes getting lost is OK. If you’re missing that special someone you can cry along with ‘Steady On My Mind,’ or if you’re looking to channel your inner Kurt Cobain you can rock along with “Captive of the Sun.” Even if you’re not looking to feel any type of emotion, the instrumentals on the album are well-produced and pleasing to the ear.” — Michael Huiznega

On new album, Parquet Courts seeks to bring together eclectic themes

Lemonade by Beyoncé

“The seeming exclusivity of Lemonade’s release — TIDAL is its only streaming service (for now) and the accompanying visual component debuted through HBO — does not reflect its premise or purpose. ‘Formation’ promised powerful #blackgirlmagic and Lemonade delivers with the complex nuances of reality flanked beautifully by the diverse musicality her self-titled album lacked (looking at you, ‘Don’t Hurt Yourself,’ ‘Daddy Lessons,’ ‘Sandcastles’ and ‘Freedom’)”.

— Audrey Piehl

“While it’s clear Beyonce has created the album as a soundtrack for all women, the socio-politically charged work of art especially focuses on the experience of being a black woman in America. When life gave Beyoncé her hardships, she revolutionized the way an artist presents their music and connects with their fans.”

— Alice Vagun

The Badger Herald reacts to Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’

Honorable Mention: Boys Don’t Cry, Frank Ocean

As always, The Badger Herald would like to acknowledge that had Frank Ocean released an album this semester, it would have very likely found its way onto this list.