WebsterX will make everyone love hip-hop by time Revelry finishes

Milwaukee native has successfully performed for indie-rock leaning crowds in past, he can do it again
Photo Courtesy of Kenneth La’ron

WebsterX may be performing at Revelry, but he could just as easily be part of the crowd.

Being 23 years old and from Wisconsin, the rapper could definitely be mistaken for a University of Wisconsin student. And maybe he would be — if it hadn’t been for one day during his junior year when he decided he couldn’t take school anymore.

It turned out for the best, however, because now WebsterX is well on his way to making a name not only for himself, but for his hometown of Milwaukee.

“There’s a music renaissance happening in Wisconsin. 

Unlike cities like Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City, Chicago or even Minneapolis, Milwaukee hasn’t historically been much of a hip-hop hotbed. WebsterX, along with a fresh wave of Milwaukee-based hip-hop artists, are trying to change that perception.

“Growing and going through the motions, my entire goal was to break that mold,” WebsterX said. “It was a far-fetched goal, but I was like ‘I really want to make Milwaukee into a primary market for hip hop.’”

As expected, it hasn’t been easy, and the process is far from complete. WebsterX said the biggest challenge lies in getting people to listen to his music and form a connection with it. The slow pace of making it big can be discouraging, he said.

“Milwaukee is generally apathetic unless you make them care,” WebsterX said.

He started off by performing at small venues that weren’t exactly desirable, but after gaining recognition, he is “[making] Milwaukee better for real.” 

Despite the struggle and the amount of work needed to establish Milwaukee as a viable hip-hop market, WebsterX also said being from Milwaukee also has its advantages.

“The reason why I like being from Milwaukee is that I stand out more,” WebsterX said. “If I was from anywhere else, it would be really easy to get lost in the muck. And nothing feels more genuine than really repping that hometown feel.”

WebsterX and other Wisconsin-based hip-hop artists such as CRASHprez, IshDARR, Trapo and Ra’Shaun are in a unique situation regarding the social purpose of their music.

“There’s a music renaissance happening in Wisconsin,” WebsterX said. “There’s something so dangerous and detrimental, the racist-ass shit that happens in this state, it’s cool to see where we’re all going with it and how we’re all staying positive.”

WebsterX said that educating others on hip-hop culture can be used to reduce racism in the state. One way WebsterX does so is by combating stereotypes through his music and performances.

While social problems are important to WebsterX, he is also concerned with putting on an entertaining show. He prides himself in the high-paced action that comes with his performances. And to him, a college-aged crowd delivers the greatest amount of energy.

Even people who don’t normally like hip-hop should plan on seeing WebsterX at Revelry. He’s been able to successfully play for fans with a wide variety of music tastes in the past, and he can do it again.

“No matter who I’m playing in front of, they all look like kids by the end of it,” WebsterX said.