UW student, EDM DJ stoked to open for likes of iLoveMakonnen, Hudson Mohawke

Davilla set to take Revelry stage by storm
Photo Courtesy of Jeremy Berson

University of Wisconsin student Luc de Villefromoy has recently found himself in a position that seemed impossible only a few months ago — opening for heavy hitters iLoveMakonnen and Hudson Mohawke.

Pre-dental chemistry major de Villefromoy, who goes by Davilla on stage, has successfully locked in a spot on this year’s Revelry Arts and Music Festival lineup alongside national and international acts — and he could not be more stoked about it.

“You couldn’t have convinced me [that] was ever going to happen, but it’s definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever done,” Davilla said. “And I am just super pumped to hang out with these guys and watch them from the other side.”

[UPDATED]: Revelry goin’ up on a Saturday with 2016 headliner iLoveMakonnen

Davilla began DJing at the age of 14 while working as a bar-back in his native Australia, and has continued this as a student at UW. Since attending, he’s opened for smaller shows at Liquid including SNBRN, Thomas Jack and Slander.

Davilla explained that a recent purchase of the digital audio station software Ableton is what sparked his move to producing original music. Falling mostly into the bass house and future house genres, he’s released three edits so far on SoundCloud — highlighted by his “Propaganda” edit.

More than anything else, Davilla is a consumer of electronic music trying to make the transition into a career as a DJ/producer. He spoke highly of popular DJ duo DVBBS after seeing them at Ultra Miami earlier this year. He said their ability to engage a crowd is something he tries to emulate in his performances.

Local students, DJs look to start something special at Liquid

While most artists hope to headline shows, Davilla said he was ecstatic just to have the opportunity to open this year’s Revelry. He plans on showcasing his talents and using his ability as a performer to immediately start the party for the Madison crowd, and then never let it stop.

And though the UW student has only garnered mild success so far, the rapid advancement of other artists within the electronic industry has left him optimistic for the future. After completing his studies at UW, he plans to make a full-time commitment toward fulfilling this dream.

Pushing Davilla toward this goal is the overwhelmingly positive response he’s gotten from the select number of people that have heard his songs so far.

“I think just hearing that my music or a song that I’ve made have a positive impact on someone, that they can listen to it and get that sense of energy, that’s just what keeps me going — that someone out there is really enjoying it,” Davilla said.

For his future, Davilla said he plans to practice and explore his talents further in more diverse genres with originals and more edits. This is only after he finds a balance between his artistic work and school, he said.

Electronic music lovers or not, Revelry attendees should arrive early for a lively, Madison-specific set that Davilla claims will “strike a hometown nerve” for UW students.