From Lannisters to White Walkers: A roundtable preview of Game of Thrones season six

The Badger Herald presents our hopes, fears for grand return of show
Courtesy of Tumblr user Westoftheglass

Despite all its flaws and shortcomings, here at The Badger Herald we are huge Game of Thrones fans.

So much so that in anticipation of the sixth season premiere Sunday, we sat down to discuss, argue and contemplate what we expect and want to happen in the coming season.

Here is the transcript of the discussion. Cyan Zhong, campus news associate, Alice Vagun, associate copy chief and Nick Brazzoni, sports editor participated in the discussion. Henry Solotaroff-Webber, arts editor, was supposed to moderate, but kind of inserted himself into the dialogue.

Courtesy of Flickr user VanityFair

1. If you could be in a house of Westeros, which would one would you be?

Cyan Zhong: I’m a Lannister. I just like Lannisters. I always like the bad guys in the films or shows. I always loved Jamie, despite the incest and everything else, I like Jamie. I like Cersei too, not too much, but kind of.

Nick Brazzoni: I’d be a Tyrell, but kind of just by default because all of the Starks are dead. The Lannisters are just kind of assholes. The Baratheons — I mean the existing Baratheons — are all creations of incest so it’s like either that or technically Baratheons aren’t really Baratheons.

Also, I just love Margery so much. Even beyond her beauty, she just seems like one of the few nice people in Westeros so I’d definitely be a Tyrell so I could hang out with Margery.

Alice Vagun: I’m definitely a House Targaryen because I refuse to perish and I like how Daenarys rallies around the unrepresented people and frees those who have been oppressed. I haven’t been this type of person, but that’s definitely something I can see myself in for in Daenarys. She wants to rally people together against bad essentially and I really respect that.

Topic 2: Is Jon Snow dead?

Courtesy of Tumblr user MTV

NB: Yes he is 100 percent dead but he is also 100 percent coming back simply because he is way too important to the storyline to have him die. Granted they’ve killed off important characters, especially Starks before, but just what Jon Snow means to this show essentially — there is no way that’s the end of Jon Snow.

AV: Is he dead in the literal sense? Yes. But I highly believe that he is going to be brought back by Melisandre, and there was hinting of that during the last couple episodes of season five. Especially since the White Walkers have become such a threat and everyone is kind of rallying together against them, I believe that Jon Snow is going to be a crucial part of that fight against the White Walkers, and Millesandra’s black magic is going to have something to do with that.

CZ: Yeah I agree, there is a scene where Melisandre rode back to the castle and that scene doesn’t have any relevance to anything else. I feel like that scene has to be a hint or a foreshadowing of bringing back Jon Snow. Also, rumor has it that people see the actor of Jon Snow hanging around set so I guess he’s coming back.

AV: He’s also been in all of the teasers, so I feel like that would be an indication he’s coming back, or else Game of Thrones is going super masochist on all of us.

NB: Well, one thing I was wondering is there has to be a point to having him die and bringing him back, beyond just keeping Melisandre around. I’m wondering because when that first guy in the brotherhood died and was brought back by the Lord of Light, they say he loses a part of himself every time he’s brought back still. I’m wondering if that part has an impact of Jon Snow’s character.

Henry Solotaroff-Webber: My thought is he was tempted to go off and be a Stark, but he couldn’t do it because he vowed his life to the Night’s Watch. But now that he’s died, his oath is therefore broken and he can go off and be the savior of The North that literally everyone wants him to be. He was just still stuck doing stuff at the stupid wall for so long.

CZ: Well, Jon Snow has always been a very complicated character, and he broke his oath to the Night’s Watch way back when he went and was with Ygritte and everything. So there’s always kind of this complex part of him that he has this devotion to the Night’s Watch, but he also has this devotion to do what he believes is right. But what the Night’s Watch believes to be right, and what he believes to be right, don’t necessarily coincide. More times than often he definitely goes with his own moral choice.

AV: I also feel like the myth of his birth hasn’t exactly been revealed yet. Whether he’s a Stark or a Targaryen, that still is unknown.

NB: And the fact that the show creators had to guess who his mother was to be able to make the show. That’s what George R.R. Martin had done in order to make the show, so that’s clearly a big plot point.

3. What role is Bran going to play now that he’s back?

Courtesy of Tumblr user Aleriehightower

AV: I feel like his role in this season is going to coincide with the White Walkers, because clearly he has some sort of supernatural power and dedication to the un-dead, considering he almost died when he was pushed out of the window back in season one. If he is going to have a presence, it’s definitely going to be with the fight against the White Walkers.

CZ: I feel like he’ll be a secret weapon against the fight of the White Walkers.

NB: I’m not really sure. I think it’s called being a warg, where you can gain control of other humans and animals, that’s got to play something in a role with some kind of major character. Where that’s going, I honestly have no idea. Also, Bran ages crazily. Everyone has stayed looking generally the same, but I feel like he’s doubled his age and height.

4: Which character are you most excited to reunite with?

Courtesy of Tumblr user Elizabeth Gillies

CZ: I think Arya Stark. But she has left, and she is one of the more un-dead Starks, but I feel like she is going to gain some special skills that will probably be useful going into the fight.

Also, Sansa as well because we don’t even know whether she’s dead yet because she jumped off and that was it. I guess Sansa and Arya are kind of interesting because they’re the remaining Starks.

NB: I totally agree with that. Especially with Arya, just the sense that she still has Cersei on her kill list. How close is she going to be getting to that, and is that at all a possibility?

But in the realm of Cersei, the whole High Sparrow thing because he seems like he can’t be stopped right now. He’s locked up the two biggest powers in King’s Landing, and how Cersei is going to retaliate to that with the Mountain now back alive from its extremely purple, dead form is intriguing.

AV: I’m interested to see how this partnership between Tyrion and Daenerys plays out. I feel like he can offer a lot to her, not only just like, “Hey this is how you can take over,” but also in personal development. He can offer advice on how to be a more stern ruler because she definitely goes back and forth between should I be nice or should I be a badass bitch and not care what people think.

NB: I think it’s also important to know where Daenerys is even is right now. I mean last we saw she was in the Dothrakis’ company, so I won’t be happy if they’re just kind of delaying her getting in with all of these other characters. I hope her and Tyrion find a way to get back together or if Jorah is going to find a way and that linkage comes back again.

AV: I’m also just really excited to see if we go back to Dorn. I personally just love the whole Dorn arch because the whole culture and setup kind of reminded me of the Spaniards and this make believe universe. Especially with what happening to Jamie and his incest baby essentially and then two minutes later she died. I wonder how that will affect him and how it will reflect the relationship with the Dornish.