What to watch at the Wisconsin Film Festival

The Badger Herald’s top three picks you can’t miss from April 14-21
Photo Courtesy of Youtube User Derek Evans of LINCOLN STUDIOS

The Wisconsin Film Festival is starting up, and that means there’s a fresh collection of films, both new and old, to check out.

From experimental foreign movies to independent films from the Dairy State itself, there’s quite a selection to choose from. The Badger Herald has peeped the list of films and selected its top three that ought to be compelling.

Serial Killer 1

There’s nothing like a good crime thriller to get the adrenaline going, especially one based on a true story.  “Serial Killer 1” is a French film set in ’90s Paris about the police task force charged with taking down “the beast of the Bastille,” a serial killer responsible for the deaths of many women.

From the trailer, this movie is about the task force coming to terms with the darkest reaches of humanity while they battle their own. For fans of a dark, gripping narrative or simply foreign cinema, don’t miss “Serial Killer 1.”

Age of Cannibals

“Age of Cannibals” is a German film, which fits in perfectly with others that have grown very popular over the past few years. It represents a German take on the privileges of the 1 percent in a black comedy resembling something like “The Wolf of Wall Street” or “The Big Short.”

This film, however, takes place completely within the walls of a hotel, so it promises to provide an interesting and different experience while offering scathing social commentary about corporate culture that many have come to appreciate in the years after the 2008 financial collapse.

Its numerous awards give even more of a reason to go out and see just what people in the business world are willing to do to get ahead.

AAAAAAAAH!

Satire is perfect for those who enjoy comedy and drama — and when one throws in dialogue completely in the form of grunting and other simian language, it’s very difficult not to be entertained.

According to the film’s description, the comedy can be over the top, but never distracts from the meat of the film, which, despite the nonsensical language, makes sense as a moving story. Though the characters literally act like apes, “AAAAAAAAH!” draws upon some pretty heavy stuff.

And while the characters cope with grief in the strangest of ways, the almost barbaric nature of their behavior isn’t “all that far-fetched,” according to the festival website. Maybe in the end, we’re not so civilized after all.

The festival will run from April 14-21.