Q&A: Matisyahu discusses adversity faced, upcoming college tour

Down to earth as always, rapper chats with The Badger Herald
Photo courtesy of DeShaun Craddock

Before his show on March 30, The Badger Herald was able to chat with influential rapper Matisyahu about his upcoming show here. Here is a snippet of the chat, including who he’s currently listening to, what this tour means to him and who his dream collaboration is — his answers may surprise you.

The Badger Herald: Who are you listening to right now?

Matisyahu: Yesterday, I was listening to Flume radio and Phantogram on Spotify for my entire trip.

BH: What does this show mean for you?

M: This show is an outgrowth of what happened to me last summer in Spain. I was boycotted by the [Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions] movement, and it was a really major deal. It was first time in my whole career that I was targeted as being a Jew and it culminated with me on stage singing in front of all these thousands of people. A lot of them [were] waving Palestinian flags and screaming curses and throwing shit at me — very intense experience.

After that, I was invited to Jerusalem to play at the Jerusalem Sacred Music Festival. I went and did that Spain show, and then I had a week of shows in Poland, including a show at Auschwitz. So I essentially went from the [Spanish] Inquisition to Nazi Poland, and then finished that tour in Jerusalem playing in the Tower of David in the old city with a mixture of Israeli and Palestinian artists at a peace festival.

BH: So why the college tour now?

M: There’s so much misinformation and divisiveness. Everyone boycotts each other and no one is listening. So I thought it would be good to do a series concerts if I bring in a Palestinian artist and we try to bring these two groups together.

BH: If there is one artist you could do a collaboration with, who would you choose?

M: Kid Cudi.

BH: Then what did you think of “Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven?”

M: He’s out of his fucking mind, and I love that.