Madison Gay Hockey Association creates supportive atmosphere for LGBTQ community

League president David Hafner strives to eliminate stigma surrounding queer players in sport, nurtures inclusiveness
Photo Courtesy of Vladimir Brik

Most hockey players in their sixth year are still mastering the art of the slap shot, not running the largest gay hockey league in the country. But David Hafner has accomplished both, and is providing immense support for the LGBTQ community at the same time.

Hafner is the Madison Gay Hockey Association’s current president and has been part of the league for more than half its existence. He, along with others in the Madison community, recognizes the need for a local LGBTQ-specific hockey league.

“Hockey is a very physical, aggressive sport to a certain degree, and there’s a stigma for LGBTQ players and queer players in those environments,” Hafner said. “It’s easier to learn the sport and feel welcomed in a space that’s designed for our particular players.”

Patrick Farabaugh, now a local newsmagazine editor, established the Madison Gay Hockey Association in 2006. He got the idea after seeing a similar league while living in New York.

Hafner, however, is quick to point out the association’s uniqueness. Whereas other cities such as Chicago and San Francisco have one LGBTQ team representing the entire city, the Madison Gay Hockey Association is made up of several teams, creating a self-contained league.

The association is a 150-player league based at Hartmeyer Ice Arena in the Maple Woods neighborhood of Madison. It has grown from its original four teams in 2006 to 10 teams this season.

Focusing more on fun than competition, the Madison Gay Hockey Association has had great benefits for players on and off the ice.

“A lot of our players develop a huge sense of confidence in themselves they didn’t know that they had,” Hafner said. “The majority of our players like playing together because it pushes them to keep up with the other players, and they get mentoring from the other players.”

Photo Courtesy of Jon Hain

In addition to his presidency, Hafner is team captain and center for Agent Orange, one of the 10 league teams this season.

Throughout his six years, Hafner has played wing and defense. He said the league is always flexible if players want to dabble with a different position, allowing them to become familiar with the game in varying ways.

While the league is open to people of all sexualities, including those of heterosexual orientation, Hafner said recruiting is mostly focused on the LGBTQ community.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/10/19/madisons-only-lgbtq-comedy-show-alphabet-soup-replaces-cruel-punchlines-with-inclusive-comedy/

Hafner became involved in the league when he felt he needed more than a bar scene to meet others in the LGBTQ community — a sentiment many of the league’s players share.

“I knew a couple people that played in the hockey league, so I went to games and I watched,” Hafner said. “I said, ‘That doesn’t look terribly frightening. I think I could do that.'”

While at first Hafner was mostly unfamiliar with hockey, he didn’t let his lack of skill stop him from joining. He stresses that potential players considering the Madison Gay Hockey League should not be scared away by their own inexperience with the sport.

The association takes this into consideration; they offer skill clinics for new players. Among teaching players how to hold and tape a stick, the league also assists them in finding their own hockey gear.

For anyone considering the league or simply looking for something fun to do on Sunday nights, Hafner invites fans to Hartmeyer Arena to catch one of the games.

“It doesn’t cost anything to come watch us play,” Hafner said. “You can get an idea of who we are and what we do, and see a variety of skill levels from people. Maybe you’ll identify with some of them. We’re very friendly, we sit in the stands, we cheer each other on and we always welcome new people.”