The Badger Herald, campus organizations predict 2016 Oscars winners

Gauge your guesses against our’s for this year’s biggest awards show
Courtesy of FF2 Media

With the finish line of the 2016 awards season in sight, it is now time to finally make some concrete predictions about the grandaddy of them all: the Oscars. While the awards show again disappointed with its lack of diversity amongst the nominees, there is still a ton of speculation about who will take home the trophies.

Oscars nominations disappoint potential nominees, fans alike

Luckily, The Badger Herald has you covered with who we think should take home the award, and who we think actually will.

Best Picture

What will win: “The Revenant”

What should win: “Spotlight”

Unlike last year’s deeply overrated “Birdman,” Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s “The Revenant” is an excellent film, despite its long runtime. It is a perfectly adequate Best Picture winner, but “Spotlight” was by far much better. For once, almost all of the nominees are worthy of a Best Picture win, with the exceptions of “Bridge of Spies” or “Brooklyn.” If they take home the prize, it would be a very disappointing end to the evening.

The Badger Herald’s definitive ranking of The Oscars’ best picture nominees

Best Director

Who will win: Alejandro G. Iñárritu, “The Revenant”

Who should win: George Miller, “Mad Max: Fury Road”

Nobody has won consecutive Best Director Oscars since Joseph Mankiewicz in 1949 and 1950 for “A Letter to Three Wives” and “All About Eve,” but Iñárritu stands as good chance to snag the honor. While the directing in “The Revenant” was exceptional, “Mad Max: Fury Road,” a return to form from the great Miller, was a breath of fresh air during the sometimes frustrating summer blockbuster season.

Best Actor

Who will win: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”

Who should win: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”

At long last, DiCaprio is going to win his Oscar. He won pretty much everything else this year, so if he doesn’t take home a statuette Sunday, some grade-A conspiracy may have taken place. This one is Leo’s to lose, especially considering the fact that the field this year is pretty weak.

Despite length, ‘The Revenant’ prevails with superior cinematography, effectively minimal dialogue

Best Actress

Who will win: Brie Larson, “Room”

Who should win: Cate Blanchett, “Carol”

Larson may as well have already won this category, which is a shame. Despite being an Academy darling, Blanchett probably won’t win, since she took home a trophy for “Blue Jasmine” two years ago. “Carol” is a far better movie than “Blue Jasmine” was, and Blanchett turned in an excellent performance. That being said, Larson was excellent in “Room,” so at least a worthy opponent will take the prize. If Jennifer Lawrence wins, though, there is no justice.

Best Supporting Actor

Who will win: Sylvester Stallone, “Creed”

Who should win: Mark Ruffalo, “Spotlight”

While “Creed” was the best sports movie in a long time, and the first genuinely good “Rocky” movie since 1979, Mark Ruffalo stole the show in “Spotlight.” His performance as a hard-nosed reporter hit the audience hard. While Stallone’s return to Rocky was a nice trip down memory lane, he couldn’t hold a candle to Ruffalo.

Best Supporting Actress

Who will win: Kate Winslet, “Steve Jobs”

Who should win: Jennifer Jason Leigh, “The Hateful Eight”

Alicia Vikander’s more deserving performance as Ava in “Ex Machina” wasn’t nominated, and “The Danish Girl,” for which she received a nomination was mediocre. Therefore, Winslet should be able to waltz in and nab this award, thanks to her solid performance in the good Steve Jobs movie. While Leigh’s genuinely unhinged performance as Daisy Domergue in “The Hateful Eight” was spectacular, her chances are slim at best.

Best Animated Feature

What will win: “Inside Out”

What should win: “Inside Out”

Really not too much to say here. If the best animated film since “Up” does not win this award, consider it the first sign of the Apocalypse.

Best Original Screenplay

What will win: “Spotlight”

What should win: “Spotlight”

Though “Inside Out” and “Ex Machina” are both probably strong enough to win any other year, the simple, brusque screenplay of “Spotlight” overshadows them all. No tricks, no overly elaborate dialogue, just a story, carried by the strength of its performances — something quite badly missed in modern cinema.

Best Adapted Screenplay

What will win: “The Big Short”

What should win: “Room”

Since our Best of 2015 list in January, the quality of “Room” has become more and more apparent, thanks by and large to Larson and awards momentum. While “The Big Short” is outrageously funny and quite well-written, the emotional gut-puncher that is “Room” remains more deserving.

Best Cinematography

What will win: “The Revenant”

What should win: “The Revenant”

Much like “Birdman” and “Gravity” before it, acclaimed cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki once again knocked it out of the park. A third straight Oscar win is unprecedented, but pretty much nobody else can beat him. Regrettably, this category includes prolific cinematographer Roger Deakins for his work on “Sicario.” He has been nominated an astounding 13 times, and has still never won.