Salted Root Coffee House may be latest craze with delectable lattes, bountiful baked goods

Though Regent neighborhood bid farewell to Froth House, fresh new shop is stellar replacement

Since Salted Root Coffee House opened in December, settling into the former home of the Regent neighborhood’s beloved Froth House, it has offered an inviting space for both students and locals.

Located at 11 N. Allen St., Salted Root fills a niche for a quaint coffee shop that satisfies Madison’s enthusiasm for sourcing locally. In fact, a map of the state with marks where Salted Root sources their products hangs from a side wall.

The shop’s brews of choice are Just Coffee Cooperative and Cha Cha Tea, both locally-owned coffee producers in Madison. For an added bonus, on their Facebook page, Salted Root promises 25 cents off coffee if you bring your own mug.

They’re certainly on top of traditional coffee beverages and chai teas, but Salted Root also steps into newer territory with a bomb matcha latte. The description of the drink touts matcha’s antioxidant, vitamin and fiber power and a boost of energy without the jitters or come-down from coffee. Science and nutrition aside, the drink is brilliant in both its deep, luscious green color and its velvety, slightly sweet taste.

The adorable Salted Root monogrammed mug doesn’t hurt either. The latte accommodates any type of milk, but I chose almond milk — and I would deem this the best option. The almond milk choice provides a light nuttiness without the overbearing creaminess of dairy. Sorry, Wisconsin.

At Salted Root, customers can easily satisfy their food cravings as well. The shop features baked goods from a hearty handful of area bakeries, including Batch Bakehouse, Silly Yak Bakery and Greenbush Bakery. More substantial food options for the hungrier include Gotham Bagels, and also breakfast and savory sandwich options served on Madison Sourdough bread.

The location of Salted Root adjacent to Madison West High School means the adventurous high schooler isn’t far from a cozy space to study and chow down on quality sandwiches. The friendly staff matches the welcoming vibe of Salted Root for an overall inviting atmosphere.

The coffee house amps up the previously dark interior that distinguished the late Froth House by allowing more natural light to flood the rooms and liven up the space. Wood-accented walls and vintage-themed décor add to the more updated feel of the shop.

The works of local artists also adorn the walls at Salted Root, showcasing talent and serving as eye candy to further color the coffee house. Light music plays in the background and coloring books lie along a back counter so that patrons can relive the carefree days of childhood.

Matcha lattes, local baked goods for days and a smiling staff — Salted Root is Madison’s latest coffee house gem.