Opening night of ‘Sound of Music’ with multi-talented cast is heartening, perfectly paced

Touring company successfully brings 1965 classic film to life at Overture Center
Photo Courtesy of The Overture Center

The hills are alive this week at The Overture Center with “The Sound of Music” dazzling audiences of all ages with a performance brimming with grace, honesty and heart.

Based on the true story of the Von Trapp Family Singers, “The Sound of Music” tells the story of Maria Rainer, a sprightly young woman who becomes a governess for the seven Von Trapp children.

Maria, played by the incomparable Kerstin Anderson, stole the audience’s heart the moment she started singing. Her voice and demeanor displayed such sweetness, yet her command of the stage could not have been more powerful. It seemed Anderson’s energy and poise demanded the best out of her fellow cast mates, and they delivered accordingly.

The show’s opening scene at the Abbey sent a wave of reverence throughout the theater. The Mother Abbess, played by Ashley Brown — another incredible talent — stood in the light of a breathtakingly ornate stained glass window as she and the other nuns delivered the “Preludium.”

It was clear from the opening scene this production’s set design would be beyond stunning, taking the show to a new level. While the Abbey and the backdrop of the mountainous Austrian landscape were nothing short of dreamlike, the Von Trapp mansion cast pure opulence.

Particularly impressive was the show’s pace. Unlike the movie, which tended to drag at points, this production never felt long or drawn out. Director Jack O’Brien crafted the show in such a way that it simply flew by.

There was an indescribable chemistry between Maria, Captain Von Trapp and the seven Von Trapp children. In a home of such grandeur, the relationship between these nine cast members was so intimate and specific. The tender care with which they approached their familial bond struck a chord with the audience.

Especially moving was “The Sound of Music (Reprise),” when Captain Von Trapp was finally able to allow his family and the music back into his heart — at that moment, there was not a dry eye in the house.

Another favorite was“Edelweiss,” impressively sung by Ben Davis, who played Captain Von Trapp. He did not disappoint in arguably the most gut-wrenching scene of the production — the Von Trapp family came together beneath a backdrop of flags of the Third Reich to sing this tribute to their homeland. Though life as they knew it was crumbling around them, in that moment all they needed was the music and each other.

As the audience left the theater, it was clear they departed with a deeper appreciation for the strength of love and music — a profound takeaway, but one that “The Sound of Music” expertly provided.