With famous cast, Fox’s ‘Grease: Live’ successfully aims high with take on beloved musical

Live TV performance of American classic stays true to original with strong vocal chops, dancing
With famous cast, Foxs Grease: Live successfully aims high with take on beloved musical
Courtesy of Fox

The star-studded, highly anticipated “Grease: Live” aired on Fox Sunday night, offering a new twist on the classic Broadway show and 1979 movie. The cast was full of familiar faces, including Julianne Hough, Aaron Tviet, Vanessa Hudgens, Carly Rae Jepsen and Keke Palmer with a set featuring a live on-camera audience and immersive four-wall sets.

Right off the bat, singer, dancer and actress Julianne Hough, as the lead role of Sandy Olsson, proved she’s truly a triple threat.

Hough found fame primarily as a dancer on “Dancing with the Stars,” later venturing into singing and acting roles, including the release of her 2008 self-titled country album.

With her first performance of “Summer Nights,” the singer reminded the audience of her vocal chops. Later on, Hough had no problem hitting the higher, big notes in her ballad,“Hopelessly Devoted to You.” Similarly, the performer shined in any scene allowing her to display her dancing abilities, often leaving the audience craving more.

Hough’s on-screen lover, Aaron Tviet, took to the stage as Danny Zuko. After his “Les Misérables” performance, it was no secret Tviet could sing and act. The 32-year-old showcased a different side of himself, proving he is fully capable of singing with a commercial voice and keeping up with any choreography.

Throughout the live production, each of the members of the Pink Ladies delivered a solo performance. First, with “Freddy My Love,” Keke Palmer reminded fans of her stellar vocal abilities. Though her performance began a bit slow, Palmer eventually grew more comfortable on stage and gave a memorable, impressive performance of the classic hit.

Next, Carly Rae Jepsen performed the only newly-written song, “All I Need is an Angel.” Unfortunately, as the only actress primarily famous for being a singer, Jepsen’s ballad was a low point for the musical. The song did nothing for her vocals, and lacked the emotion the other actors delivered in their performances.

On the contrary, Vanessa Hudgens proved to be nothing but a true professional. Hudgens had just spent all of 2015 on the live stage, starring in the Broadway musical, “Gigi.”

But even more notable was Hudgens’ ability to deliver a flawless performance immediately after her father passed away. Greg Hudgens lost his battle with cancer hours before the show, yet Hudgens, as Rizzo, performed with vigor and passion in his memory.

The show as a collective performance was an unexpected treat for viewers. The carefully selected cast was more than capable of not only acting, but singing and dancing too. Often these reproductions of classic hits can be tricky, as viewers find themselves attached to the originals. But “Grease: Live” was successful in sticking to the original musical, but still delivering a contemporary feel.

Consistent with the classic choreography and hits from the ‘50s, “Grease: Live” created a fun Sunday night for many lovers of America’s favorite musical.