‘Love,’ ‘Marseille,’ ‘Flaked’ lead strong Netflix Class of 2016

New shows measure up to other Netflix originals, rapidly expanding content base
Love, Marseille, Flaked lead strong Netflix Class of 2016
Photo Courtesy of THINKAMAZINGTHINGS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Despite already having changed the entertainment world permanently by cutting the link between cable TV and quality content, Netflix is refusing to slow down in 2016.

Below is what to expect from what should be the three best enablers of procrastination in the coming year.

“Love”

Writer and director Judd Apatow has been at the helm of several successful films (“Anchorman,” “Knocked Up” and “This is 40”), yet many critique his work to be dialogue heavy, cinematically uninspiring and narrowcast to only white, upper-middle class people with laughably small issues.

His latest project, “Love,” has the potential to fall in either or both camps as it centers on two young cynics in Los Angeles both getting over breakups and turned off to the idea of happiness and romance. While this trope has been done before, especially well in FX’s sleeper hit “You’re the Worst,” it has promise in that Apatow’s characters often have depth, despite their shortcomings.

The trailer depicts Gus and Mickey, two serious, beatnik-y people who happen upon each other as Gus pays for Mickey’s cigarettes and gum, out of good-nature. The two then proceed to go on a spree of getting to know each other through trying new things, closing chapters and gaining new perspective.

“Love” carries a lot of potential to be refreshing and novel, but as nerds and weirdos, like Gus and Mickey, continue to become more accepted mainstream, it may only go so far in driving home Apatow’s trademark themes of earnestness and realism. Nonetheless, it may offer a fresh take on modern love. All episodes drop on Netflix Feb. 19.

Gist: Hipsters who are too cool for New York, have enough money to sustain their vices and seek meaning and acceptance in eclectic romance.

“Marseille”

French actor Gerard Depardieu rarely appears in productions anymore, but he stars in Netflix’s new political drama “Marseille.” This sinister show follows the story of the local government of the titular town in France as Robert Taro, the mayor for 25 years, runs for re-election against his protege. Shot entirely in France and in French, the show aims to capture the French in an accessible way, without suggesting stereotype, in a fashion that conveys the storied nature of France, its politics and its players.

Creator Dan Franck has taken on an unprecedented challenge with Netflix by delivering a program that, if successful, will showcase the best of French film and television as it attempts to portray the country in a tasteful, yet not contrived fashion, as several well-known French directors are signed on to direct individual episodes.

The eight episodes of the first season of “Marseille” premiere May 5.

Gist: A “House of Cards” set in France, with realistic plot arcs, better acting and without getting carried away.

“Flaked”

Set in breezy Venice Beach, “Flaked” follows Will Arnett as the at-first charming self-help guru Chip, who, after becoming romantically involved with someone too close to him, quickly loses his idealistic image, sobriety and storied presence in this haunt of southern California.

This is Arnett’s second Netflix original show. The first, “Bojack Horseman,” received mediocre reviews at first, but later found success with audiences, resulting in a third season renewal. “Flaked” is allegedly a product of Arnett’s passion, and it is the nuances of that passion that ultimately form the narrative. Audiences should expect dark, irreverent humor, especially considering Christopher Mintz-Plasse (“Superbad”) has a recurring role.

Mitch Hurwitz, “Arrested Development” creator, serves as executive producer on Arnett’s latest, which should provide it a hearty boost as well. All eight episodes will drop on Netflix March 11.

Gist: Will Arnett’s brand of ignorant, but heartfelt humor permeates the narrative as his character navigates a world too complex, yet too familiar for his own good.

Honorable Mention:  “The Ranch” 

It’s been quite some time since Ashton Kutcher has been involved in a major production since the end of “Two and a Half Men.” He’s back, though, this time on the Netflix original comedy “The Ranch,” scheduled for an April 1 release. The show follows two cowboys, Kutcher and Danny Masterson, who last worked together on “That 70s Show,” as they try to make a small business work. Kutcher plays a failed football player who returns to the family ranching business in Colorado.

Perhaps most interesting about “The Ranch” is its plan to stray away from the sitcom’s tried and true conventions of bright lighting and G-rated language. In an interview with trade journal Deadline, Kutcher claimed the show will include profanity and more realistic lighting. Knowing Kutcher’s crass, yet not incorrect personage, “The Ranch” will probably adhere to the animal comedy genre, especially as Debra Winger and Sam Elliott join the cast in supporting roles.

It’s unclear how the comedic style of the show will play out, but it’s safe to say the production value will be similar to “Master of None,” Aziz Ansari’s Netflix brainchild that made use of low-key lighting and varying episode length. What’s more original is its method of distribution; rather than release all episodes at once, Netflix will release two blocks of 10 episodes a few weeks apart.

Gist: Raunchy guys get up to shenanigans, their conservative parents disapprove and/or shrug it off, and “That 70s Show” deja vu kicks in.