The Badger Herald’s definitive ranking of Insomnia Cookies

Cookies are rich, flavorful and satisfying, but bring your own milk

For those with a sweet tooth, there’s finally something to satisfy late night cravings: Insomnia Cookies, which just settled into its new State Street home.

I’ve always envied my friends on other college campuses who told me of this magical delivery service that brings warm, melted cookies to your door. Naturally, when I heard Insomnia Cookies was returning to Madison, despite their sketchy history in town, I was excited to see if it lived up to the hype.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/11/04/insomnia-cookies-to-return-to-madison/

https://twitter.com/BckeyClalan/status/690028708606930946

https://twitter.com/SebastianGiakas/status/690019059623149568

I got one cookie of every traditional kind — traditional cookies are priced at $1.45, but the deluxe cookies are $2.75. If you’re more of a savory person, a slice of pizza might be the way to go.

Insomnia also offers “cookie-wichs” (ice cream sandwiches), ice cream with toppings and brownies.

If you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to leave the house, Insomnia will deliver to your door for $1.99.

While the cookies are a bit overpriced (you can get two cookies for $1 at Which Wich, albeit they are smaller), they are flavorful, warm and entirely satisfying.

The most important thing to remember before engaging in your Insomnia experience — bring your own milk. Insomnia has small pints of plain, chocolate or strawberry milk in koozies for $3. Do yourself a favor and pick up a gallon at the grocery store, your bones and wallet will thank you.

For when you’re placing your late night order or staring at the options behind the counter — here’s The Badger Herald’s definitive ranking of Insomnia’s best traditional cookies:

9. M&M cookie

This was the most disappointing cookie of the lot. If you’re really into M&Ms you’ll probably love this, but the lack of melted chocolate and the cookie’s texture just can’t hold its own, especially when it’s competing with the chocolate chunk.

8. Sugar cookie

I really only grabbed for the sugar cookie to use it as a palate cleanser. It’s a fine cookie, but amid all the other options and flavors, it falls flat.

7.  Snickerdoodle

Cinnamon-y, sweet and richer than the sugar cookie, but hardly a standout.

6.  White chocolate macadamia nut

Soft and buttery, with a good ratio of chocolates to nuts, but verges on being too sweet.

5. Peanut butter chip

The cookie seriously lives up to its name and it’s like they dumped an entire jar of Jif into a single cookie. Delicious, but so rich that I don’t know if it’s possible to finish the full cookie.

4. Oatmeal raisin

The whole “trust issues” thing around oatmeal raisins cookies gives them an undeserved bad name. This cookie was sweet, rich with oats and raisins and filling.

3. Double chocolate mint

This gives you all the gooey richness of the double chocolate chunk, with a blast of cool air. Think of it as an amped-up, chewier version of a Thin Mint.

2. Chocolate chunk

Everyone’s favorite cookie. This cookie was warm even after a walk in sub-zero temperatures, the chocolate was oozing and everything melted in my mouth. Seriously, a bite of this cookie can transport you from the Arctic straight to grandma’s kitchen.

1. Double chocolate chunk

From the moment I opened the box, this cookie was calling my name. I knew just from looking at the melted chocolate smeared everywhere that it would be delicious. Fudge-y and warm, if you’re only going to buy one cookie at Insomnia, let this be it.