Best albums of 2015

‘To Pimp a Butterfly’ dominated charts, hearts with innovative rap, but everything from Grimes to Tame Impala grooved onto our list
Kendrick.
YOU4EYA.TUMBLR.COM / Giphy
Kendrick.

Kendrick Lamar — To Pimp a Butterfly

“2015 was a hell of a year for hip-hop, but everything is literally incomparable to Kendrick. The West Coast emcee hit the nail on the head with lyricism and musicality.” — Dan Chinitz

“Rarely has an album scored an A+ in the following categories: quality, relevancy and internet … With his only second studio album Kendrick Lamar has concocted one that somehow blends those three categories with its incredible instrumentals, knife-point sharp lyrics and its intent to seemingly tackle “blackness” — and all of its meanings — in America over the course of its hour.” — Henry Solotaroff-Webber

Kendrick Lamar’s latest is divisive tour de force

Sufjan Stevens — Carrie & Lowell

“In Sufjan Stevens’ devastatingly beautiful tribute to his dead mother and living step-father, he represents more than just his own experience, but also the experiences of anyone who has experienced loss or had to come to terms with their own mortality. His folky multi-instrumentalism shines brightly over the dark void of that he captures in his songs.” — Henry Solotaroff-Webber

Sufjan Stevens’ album is a beautiful portrait of pain

Courtney Barnett — Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

“Eloquent and effortless, Aussie Courtney Barnett’s album transcends the scales of coolness. She can write about anything and make it poetic, including the patterns on dinner plates and that relatable dilemma of wanting to relax at home yet also wanting to go out and party. An insane talent.” — Michael Sajdak

Hit list: This week’s playlist declares ‘summer is not dead’

Tame Impala — Currents

“In Currents, Tame Impala took a big risk. They rejected the mystical classic-rock sound that helped them become huge, and replaced it with a poppy yet still vintage one instead. Of course, because this is Tame Impala, it payed off beautifully and the band was able to release one of 2015’s most beautiful and unique albums.” — Henry Solotaroff-Webber

D’angelo and the Vanguard — Black Messiah

“If D’angelo doesn’t come out with any new music for another 15 years it will be worth the wait for another project to be even remotely comparable to this one.” — Dan Chinitz

Grimes — Art Angels

“Claire Boucher creates a dynamic feminist pop-opera showcasing huge beats, incredible vocals, sneaky samples, poisonously sweet pop melodies and her unique artistry. The songs span the range from dance jams (“Belly of the Beat”) to raging tunes (“Scream”) and pulsing beats juxtaposing sweeping vocal range (“Butterfly”). No album of 2015 compares to the stand-apart thrill of Grimes’ mastery.” — Meredith Head

Grimes remains enigmatic while shifting toward blissful sounds in new LP

Adele — 25

“This album is full of sweetness and nostalgia. Somehow Adele can make anyone want to cry, throw things and call up all the people who they have mistreated. Every song is sad. Every song is good. It’s perfect for long car rides and reminiscing on mistakes made years ago.” — Tia Hagenbucher

Adele’s ’25’ belts predictable, but satisfying ‘hello’ to faithful fans

Jamie XX — In Colour

“In Colour is a love letter to the British dance scene …  Each song, while being sparse, is imbibed with a potent mix of careful calculation and the love for the genre that Jamie XX possesses. It is also notable for giving us the song of the summer, “Good Times” ft. Young Thug, which we should be so thankful for.” — Henry Solotaroff-Webber

Vince Staples — Summertime ’06

“Vince Staples defines the term ‘edgy’ with Summertime ’06. The deep undertones of the album and his rough flow take an original perspective on styles of modern hip-hop.” — Dan Chinitz

Vince Staples’ new EP helps to solidify own identity among other West Coast rappers

Honorary Mention — Frank Ocean

The Badger Herald ArtsEtc. staff would like to acknowledge that if Frank Ocean had released an album this year of any quality — like he promised — it would likely be on this list.