‘Mockingjay, Part 2’ stumbles into joyless, dour finale

Despite excellent cinematography, top-notch performances from leading ladies, ‘Hunger Games’ final installment may disappoint with clunky plot
Mockingjay, Part 2
ARMIIQ.TUMBLR.COM / Giphy
‘Mockingjay, Part 2’

The adaptations of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling “Hunger Games” series have never been perfect. That being said, they have generally been good at least.

“Mockingjay, Part 2” follows that trend for much of its runtime, carried by continued excellence from Jennifer Lawrence (“Serena”) as Katniss Everdeen. But, its clunky ending and lack of comic relief sucked any joy out of the long-awaited finale. 

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/17/the-peanuts-movie-brings-beloved-cartoon-to-3-d-screens-with-surprising-skill/

The big break “The Hunger Games” has always experienced apart from other young adult franchises is its unapologetic grimness. When the plot is based around the senseless murder of children at the hands of other children, a dark tone is to be expected. The movies have always held to that theme, though sometimes too much.

But one of the best aspects of the books was Everdeen’s darkly humorous narration, which received a quick axe when it came time to adapt them for the screen.

Of course, not everything from a book can reach the movie. But in the other “Hunger Games” movies, there was at least one moment that drew laughs from the crowd (“That is mahogany,” anyone?). But, in “Mockingjay, Part 2,” there was not a single laugh-worthy moment in the entire two-hour plus runtime. Not one. On the whole, the movies are much less funny than the books, but at least the other three movies had brief moments of levity. “Mockingjay, Part 2” just felt dour and joyless.

It can be argued that the whole point of this movie was to be joyless and depressing. But even dark movies can have brief glimmers of light. Even “Schindler’s List” has a memorably amusing moment when Schindler is interviewing potential secretaries.

Watching “Mockingjay” was just sad.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/17/30-minute-music-hour-brings-raw-passionate-performances-to-the-underbelly-of-vilas/

Of course, that’s not to say that this is a bad movie. The cinematography has improved gorgeously since “Catching Fire.” The first movie’s camera work was noticeably subpar, but ever since then the shots and sets have been absolutely beautiful.

Moreover, Lawrence’s performance continues to go above and beyond the call of duty, and she is complemented perfectly by Julianne Moore (“Freeheld”) as resistance leader Alma Coin.

Those who have read the book will note that it follows the plot pretty well, ultimately culminating in an absolutely brutal payoff established early in the plot.

Also, those who have read the book know that not a single audience member will leave the theater with dry eyes. So many fan favorite characters meet a cruel end in “Mockingjay, Part 2,” and they pack a wallop even if everyone who has read the books knows they’re coming.

Ultimately, a series so focused on death and suffering can’t have a happy ending. A hollow, Pyrrhic victory concludes a dark, but overall excellent, series.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/13/in-master-of-none-aziz-ansari-strikes-balance-between-absurdity-reality/

But then the movie kept going.

Yes, the ending spoiled the book and it spoils the movie too. The plot is dragged out to a clunky, saccharine return to the love triangle nobody cared about.

The movie sacrificed a solid ending in favor of faithfulness to the source material, a crime noble in nature that ultimately resulted in a far weaker final product. Sad, but painfully predictable.