Local acts jam in celebration of Sexy Ester’s impact on isthmus

Skizzwhores, Lady Deadpoet, Sheshe, Gods in The Chrysalis all pay tribute at vinyl release party at High Noon
Sexy+Ester.
‘Sexy Ester.’

Friends, family and fans rendezvoused at the High Noon Saloon Monday night to celebrate the vinyl release of Sexy Ester’s self-titled record and their influence on the Madison music scene.

The album, originally released in April, came out around Record Store Day, when many local record stores are celebrated. In belated honor of the holiday, Sexy Ester decided to release a limited-edition vinyl.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/17/30-minute-music-hour-brings-raw-passionate-performances-to-the-underbelly-of-vilas/

This self-titled album provides a great contrast to their previous one, Monomania, which was focused on self-expression and the celebration of individuality.

As lead singer Lyndsay Evans said, “Each song is about being your own kind of superhero.”

Sexy Ester, on the other hand, radiates pure garageband punk. The band wanted to challenge themselves and create a more tough and gritty sound, as opposed to their usual quirkiness.

Many songs have actually been a work in progress for years, but haven’t had the right sound to be on their previous albums. Now, these songs, with a little re-vamping and re-touching, are perfect for this record.

Unfortunately due to Evans’ vocal issues, the band was unable to perform at the event. But four local bands offered to cover songs from the record as a tribute to Sexy Ester and their impact on the isthmus.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/10/for-his-performance-at-majestic-murs-seeks-to-spread-love-promote-peace/

Aaron Miller, vocalist and guitarist from Gods in The Chrysalis, helped organize the event. It was originally Evans’ idea to have people cover their songs, but Miller coordinated and pieced the bands together.

During their performance, Allisa Taylor, vocalist from Gods in The Chrysalis, provided an ethereal sound to their Sexy Ester cover with her echoing and breathy vocals.

Folk rock band, Sheshe, contributed humor and powerful violin solos to their performance. All members of the band were also excited to show their appreciation for Sexy Ester.

Throughout the music scene, the band is rather solid and selfless, not only performing frequently but also going to other musicians’ shows. Sexy Ester is known for pushing people to go out of their comfort zones by putting on quality shows.

“They are fundamentally an entertaining group,” Sheshe violinist Julia McConahay said. “Musicians are competing with cable TV, movies, pizza and being lazy, so you have to be motivating enough to get people to come out.”

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2015/11/09/with-wii-remote-in-hand-robert-delong-to-bring-futuristic-electro-pop-to-madison/

Lazy Deadpoet, a blues group, not only performed a Muddy Waters cover, but did a raspy yet harmonious rendition of one of of Sexy Ester’s songs.

“I am so excited,” Evans said. “You only hear your music when you’re playing it, so [listening to others perform] kind of takes you outside of it and you really get to hear the structure of the song.”

The closing act, The Skizzwhores, did an extremely grungy take on Sexy Ester’s music and physically pretended to be them. Lead singer, Q, wore a bowtie pretending to be Roscoe Evans, and drummer, Dave, wore a beanie and sunglasses resembling drummer, Paul Kennedy.

Sexy Ester’s commitment to the Madison music scene, and their genuine passion for music, is encouragement and inspiration for all local artists.

“I think they have a really unique sound, like Blondie meets Devo meets their own sound and their stage presence is amazing,” Q said. “The bubbles, the vocals, everything.”