‘The Peanuts Movie’ brings beloved cartoon to 3-D screens with surprising skill

Lovable loser Charlie Brown’s predictable antics made even funnier with emphasis on Snoopy, excellent animation
Peanuts Movie.
YAHOOENTERTAINMENT.TUMBLR.COM / Giphy
“Peanuts Movie.”

Anyone raised on “Peanuts” comics will likely be nervous about its recent cinematic reboot. Thankfully, any nerves are unfounded. “The Peanuts Movie” was utterly delightful.

Led by Noah Schnapp (“Bridge of Spies”) as Charlie Brown, the second ever feature-length “Peanuts” release kept a Schulzian spirit of whimsical silliness all throughout its runtime. The only other major comic strip adaptation that anyone remembers is “Garfield,” an unmitigated disaster on all accounts.

In ‘Master of None,’ Aziz Ansari strikes balance between absurdity, reality

The plot of “The Peanuts Movie” is fairly simple. It follows two different quests of lovable loser Charlie Brown: impress longtime crush The Little Red-Headed Girl, and get just one stupid kite to fly. In addition, Snoopy’s perpetual quest to defeat The Red Baron is expanded upon in conjunction with the main plot, going into far more detail than any of the famous animated shorts.

The one legitimate knock to be made against “The Peanuts Movie” is how predictable the plot is. The second it’s kicked off by a standardized test, the audience can sniff out the direction of the story. But that does not greatly detract from this movie’s charm and whimsy, assisted greatly by its animation.

One of the big concerns going in was the conversion of the simplistic Charles Schulz style into modern 3-D animation. The classic shorts were famous for their low-budget charm, made in an era when animation was not a priority for most studios.

A big theme of both the comics and the shorts was sincerity, something a lot of people feared would be lost on an animation titan such as Blue Sky Studios.

Mercifully, the themes of the “Peanuts” remain intact. No painful attempts at modernization, no “adult” jokes to pander to a cynical audience — just a simple story and simple characters.

‘Spectre’ is classic Bond — James Bond — but falls short with audiences craving more

But, some of the traits are different: Lucy’s opportunistic cash-grabbing mentality shifts over to Sally, Patty (the non-peppermint variety) develops a crush on Pigpen that never existed and Linus’ role is notably downplayed. His neuroses and famous belief in the Great Pumpkin don’t serve purpose in the story, which is far more focused on Charlie Brown than in the classic strips.

But Linus’ minimization is not necessarily a negative. Hollywood movies will always need to be more tightly focused than any literary work, and supplemental plots will have to be sacrificed. Thankfully, Snoopy was not thrown to the wind as Linus was.

For kids raised on the “Peanuts,” nothing is funnier than Snoopy. The memory of his animal impressions in “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” specifically the penguin, is notably hilarious. His presence is, if nothing else, played up in “The Peanuts Movie,” making audience members giggle like a five-year-old. His animation in particular is perfect, expanding his comic possibilities greatly.

In summary, “The Peanuts Movie” is definitely worth a watch. The story may not throw you for any loops, but the nostalgic thrill will be more than enough to make up for that.