Wisconsin Singers to bring eclectic annual show to Shannon Hall

With their multi-faceted talent and selection of more than 65 songs, high-caliber campus group ready to hit road after playing Madison
Photo courtesy of Wisconsin Singers

After being heavily involved in high school theater, University of Wisconsin juniors Atzie Sobotik and Taylor Pritzl found themselves longing for an outlet where they could express themselves in a similar way in college.

Both students eventually found their home in the Wisconsin Singers, an on-campus group that exhibits the talents of singer-dancers in performances across the Midwest.

But with a crew of more than 35 singers, dancers and tech and business staff, the name “Wisconsin Singers” fails to do the student organization justice — they seem more like a Las Vegas entertainment group than a student organization.

The standards the organization upholds for both its performers and staff resemble a professional commercial group more than a university one, too. After passing an audition, singer-dancers are required to attend an eight-hour rehearsal each week, in addition to their performances almost every weekend in the spring. The tech team is also required to pass a competitive “audition” similar to the performers.

The Wisconsin Singers further set themselves apart from other singing groups on campus because of each individual performer’s multi-faceted talent. Each trained singer is a well-rehearsed dancer, combining their talents with those of the instrumentalists, tech and business team. Performances exhibit not just singing, but attention to details like lights, sound, props and costumes.

Instead of featuring a run-of-the-mill selection of ‘90s hits for their annual Midwest tour, Wisconsin Singers have put together a selection of more than 65 songs to perform over the course of an hour and a half. It may seem like a lot to handle, but with a well-rehearsed crew and an accompanying nine-piece band, the performance is worth it.

This year’s theme, “So Classic,” covers a range of music genres from the past 40 years.  

“The variety of songs allows for each performance to be new and fresh because the singers are allowed to explore so many different styles,” Pritzl said.

Every year the Wisconsin Singers  perform in Madison before they embark on their tour consisting of 35 shows in the spring. This year, the group plays their annual on-campus show at Memorial Union’s Shannon Hall on Nov. 20 and 21.

“The performances in Madison are always my favorite set of shows over the course of the year,” Pritzl said. “There’s nothing better than having an audience packed full of friends and cheering for you.”