What’s on tap: Hunker down for winter with this dark, delicious stout guide

From creamy Guinness to Ale Asylum’s own Big Slick, these hardy brews are sure to get any freezing college kid through hibernation
+BEER%21
BEER!

While many college kids probably enjoy guzzling beer that tastes a little better than dirty tap water — I know because I drink it all the time too , but a lot of early beer drinkers can miss out on some of the huge varieties.

One of these distinct styles of brews are stouts. While most stouts each have similar features, such as a dark body and strong flavor, they all have uniqueness among them and build upon one another’s flavor. This week, I’ve decided to break down some of the most popular stout styles, especially as Winter Seasonals start soon.

What’s on tap: ‘Golden age of craft brewing’ threatened by restrictive liquor licensing

English Stout

The traditional English Stout features a strong, roasted flavor, usually with notes of coffee and/or chocolate. It has traditionally been made with roasted barley, and is always a very dark, usually black, color. The ABV in these beers can range anywhere from 4-7 percent.

Recommended English Stout: Belhaven Scottish Stout (Belhaven Brewery)

Irish Dry Stout

Perhaps the most famous style of stout in the entire world thanks to Guinness, Irish Dry Stouts tend to have a very distinct, dark black body and are made with roasted barley and have slight coffee taste as well, but they are usually made with low carbonation and mixed with nitrogen gas, which gives them a very creamy and smooth flavor that is very easy to drink.

Recommended Irish Dry Stout: Donnybrook Stout (Victory Brewing Company)

What’s on tap: Nitro beers no longer mad science in Wisconsin

American Stout

American Stouts lend their origins to the English and Irish styles of stouts, but as time has passed, this style of stout has become it’s own unique flavor. American Stouts usually feature a much more hoppy flavor and aroma that mixes in with the traditional coffee and chocolate flavors.

Recommended American Stout: Big Slick Stout (Ale Asylum Brewing Company)

Oatmeal Stout

An off-shoot of the English Stout, Oatmeal Stouts have very smooth-tasting flavors from the addition of oats to the body of these beers. Typically, we see darker malt flavors from these beers, but flavors can range from coffee to chocolate to even caramel, with a slight hint of sweetness from the oats.

Recommended Oatmeal Stout: Founders Breakfast Stout (Founders Brewing Company)

What’s on tap: Breakdown of Wisconsin’s best fall brews

Milk Stout

Another style within the traditional English Stout brand is Milk Stouts. What makes Milk Stouts different from other stouts is the addition of lactose, or milk sugars, to the final product, which give the beer a sweetness that combines with the roasted flavors to create a distinct taste that is very drinkable.

Recommended Milk Stout: Milk Stout Nitro (Left Hand Brewing Company)